Questioning My Thinking: A Reflection

In summary: AndIn summary, the conversation discusses a student's question on solving a physics problem involving space charge inside a capacitor. The helper informs the student that it is against forum guidelines to provide help without the student first attempting to solve the problem on their own. The helper suggests looking at other threads for examples and modifying them, and also advises the student to better understand the symbols and equations involved in the problem. The conversation ends with the helper providing some steps for the student to follow in order to solve the problem.
polibuda
Homework Statement
Determine the potential and electric field strength distribution inside the plate capacitor in the three cases.

1) The inside of the capacitor the space charge is equal to 0.

2) The interior of the flat capacitor contains an evenly distributed space charge qv.

3) The capacitor with homogeneous space charge qv. The capacitor plates are short-circuited.
Relevant Equations
E,V
I started to do this, but I'm not sure my thinking is good.
1606398671593.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As per
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/homework-help-guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/
we are not allowed to help until you post your own attempt at solution. (*)
And
polibuda said:
I have no idea how to start do this
does not count :-p

So until then you'll have to make do with e.g. one of the threads below :wink:

But it's not that difficult to find examples and modify them.

Tip: 'E, V' is not an equation.

(*) I'm not sure if that also excludes criticising the problem formulation ?:), but I find 'space charge inside a capacitor' hard to understand. What do you think is meant?

Likes polibuda
I have corrected my statement.

You leave a lot to guess by not explaining the symbols, but never mind.

At I)
What is your Gauss surface A ?
What is r ? What is d ?
Is E = 0 the only possible solution ?
Does it say V(d) = 0 ?

At II) and III) we really need some explanation what you are doing ...

Likes polibuda
BvU said:
You leave a lot to guess by not explaining the symbols, but never mind.

At I)
What is your Gauss surface A ?
What is r ? What is d ?
Is E = 0 the only possible solution ?
Does it say V(d) = 0 ?

At II) and III) we really need some explanation what you are doing ...

So maybe we should focus only on the first case.
The Gauss surface is cylinder.
r is mistake, it should be d, which is the distance between two plates of capacitor.
I think if qv (space charge)=0 inside the capacitor, the field strength must be equal 0 due to formula:
1606406308065.png

V(d) is equal to U from source voltage.

Good plan to start with I) :smile:.

Basically you are saying there is no field in between the plates of a capacitor, no matter what voltage is applied ! :nb)

polibuda said:
The Gauss surface is cylinder.
A cylinder in a uniform E field also has ##\int_V \rho\, dV = 0## but definitely not E = 0 !

Likes polibuda
BvU said:
Good plan to start with I) :smile:.

Basically you are saying there is no field in between the plates of a capacitor, no matter what voltage is applied ! :nb)A cylinder in a uniform E field also has ##\int_V \rho\, dV = 0## but definitely not E = 0 !
So I'm wrong, beacuse if the voltage exist (E=U/d), the field strength can't be equal to 0. But can you explain this formula. What is wrong?
1606407575926.png

A is coming from cylinder.

##\vec E \cdot d\vec A## on one side is equal and opposite to ##\vec E \cdot d\vec A## on the other: they cancel out.

Well, now I have no idea what I should to do. Could you advise me something?

BvU said:
start with I
and find a relevant equation in your notes or textbook

1. What is "Questioning My Thinking: A Reflection" about?

"Questioning My Thinking: A Reflection" is a process of critically examining one's own thoughts, beliefs, and assumptions in order to gain a deeper understanding of oneself and the world around us. It involves asking probing questions and challenging our own thinking patterns in order to gain new perspectives and insights.

2. Why is questioning my thinking important?

Questioning our thinking is important because it allows us to challenge our own biases and preconceived notions, which can limit our understanding and hinder our personal and intellectual growth. It also helps us to think more critically and make more informed decisions.

3. How do I start questioning my thinking?

The first step in questioning your thinking is to become aware of your thoughts and beliefs. Pay attention to your inner dialogue and identify any patterns or biases. Then, start asking yourself probing questions, such as "why do I believe this?" or "what evidence do I have to support this belief?" This will help you to critically examine your thoughts and gain new insights.

4. Can questioning my thinking be uncomfortable?

Yes, questioning your thinking can be uncomfortable at times. It may challenge your beliefs and force you to confront uncomfortable truths about yourself. However, this discomfort is necessary for personal growth and gaining a deeper understanding of oneself and the world.

5. How often should I question my thinking?

Questioning your thinking should be an ongoing process. It is important to regularly reflect on your thoughts and beliefs, especially when faced with new information or experiences. By continuously questioning your thinking, you can continue to grow and evolve as a person.