Calculating Speed of Electron in Electrostatics

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the speed and deflection of an electron in a uniform electric field between two parallel charged plates. The electron is accelerated from rest and passes through a tiny hole in the positive plate. The conversation also touches upon the use of Coulomb's law, kinematics, and projectile motion in solving the problem. The final question involves calculating the vertical distance of the electron's deflection after passing through two horizontally oriented deflection plates and traveling 20cm horizontally before striking a screen.
miamiheat5
Again I am not ssure what to do.
An electron(mass 9.11x10^-31kg) is accelerated in a uniform E field (E=3.0x10^4 N/C) between two parallel charged plates. The separation of the plates is 1.6cm. The electron is accelrated from rest near the negative plate and passes through a tiny hole in the positive plate. With what speed does the electron emerge from the hole?

I was thinking you would use qE=ma to find the acceleration, then use kinematics to find the velocity but i am not sure.

I would really be happy if anyone can help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried to solve this based on those assumptions? ;)

yes and i got v as being 1.3x10^-24m/s

did you remember to take account for the electrons charge?..

because i got 1.3*10^7 m/s

what do u mean take account for the electrons charge?

Some books do not give the electron charge in SI units.

Why didnt you post your work done? So we can see were you have done wrong?.. How can one help you if you don't post your work?..

Post your work and I will tell you were it went wrong :) And I also post how I solve this problem.

ok this what i did:

qE=ma
1.602x10^-19(3.0x10^4)=(9.11x10^-31)a
4.806x10^-15=9.11x10^-31a
a=5.27x10^-47

Then:

vf^2=vi^2+2ad
vf^2=0^2+2(5.27x10^-4709.016)
sqroot vf^2=sqroot 1.686x10^-48
vf=1.3x10^-24m/s

you shold pratice more on how to calculate with exponents..

4.806x10^-15=9.11x10^-31a

dividing both left and right side with 9.11x10^-31 does not give a=5.27x10^-47 ..

4.806x10^-15 / 9.11x10^-31 = 0.528*10^(-15+31)

oh you maybe I should thank you for catching my mistake.

Do you think you can help me with one other problem.

With this one I don't have any work because I don't know where to start.

A negative charge -q is fixed to one corner of a rectangle. What postitive charge must be fixed to corner A and what positive charge must be fixed to corner B, so that the total electric field at the remaining corner is zero? Express your answer in terms of q.

Here is the drawing, i will simulate a rectangle without side lines

2d----------------------------->(should be in middle)
A ---------------------------------------------------------

d---------------------------------------------->(should be on other side of rectangle)

-q O-----------------------------------------------------B

Last edited:
Look at composants in x- and y direction. Use coloumbs law and some trigonemtry.

So if the Eletric field should be zero, then the force should be zero too.

E = F/q

Try from here =) good luck

Ok this I promise will be the last question I need help with again i am not sure how to start the question off.

So this question uses information from:

question (7) "An electron(mass 9.11x10^-31kg) is accelerated in a uniform E field (E=3.0x10^4 N/C) between two parallel charged plates. The separation of the plates is 1.6cm. The electron is accelrated from rest near the negative plate and passes through a tiny hole in the positive plate. With what speed does the electron emerge from the hole?"

The resulting electron beam from question (7) then passes into an evacuated region outside the plates where the E field drops to zero. It then passes through two horizontally oriented defelction plates, the beam travels another 20cm horizontally and strikes a phosphor coated screen. What vertical distance(measured ffrom the path taken if no deflection filed were present) would be measured for the beams defelction?)

Is this another question that will use kinematics to be solved?

yes its a free fall thing.

what formulas will i need to use?

projectile motion.. i.e free fall combined with transversal motion.
The deflection plates will prevent the particle from avoid its original path, it will not be accelerated by an electric field, and gravity is much much weaker than the effect of the deflection plates.

So if you remoce the deflection plates, and don't have any electric field, the electron will just fall beacuse of its mass.

1. How is the speed of an electron calculated in electrostatics?

The speed of an electron in electrostatics is calculated using the equation v = √(2qV/m), where v is the speed, q is the charge of the electron, V is the potential difference, and m is the mass of the electron.

2. What is the relationship between the speed of an electron and the potential difference in electrostatics?

The speed of an electron is directly proportional to the square root of the potential difference. This means that as the potential difference increases, the speed of the electron also increases.

3. How does the mass of an electron affect its speed in electrostatics?

The mass of an electron has an inverse relationship with its speed in electrostatics. This means that as the mass increases, the speed of the electron decreases.

4. Can the speed of an electron in electrostatics ever be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed that any object can attain. Therefore, the speed of an electron in electrostatics can never be greater than the speed of light.

5. How does the charge of an electron affect its speed in electrostatics?

The charge of an electron does not directly affect its speed in electrostatics, as seen in the equation v = √(2qV/m). However, the charge does indirectly affect the potential difference, which in turn affects the speed of the electron.