1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatics - line charges

1. Feb 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A line charge has density λ and extends along the x axis from -a to +a. Find the electric potential at a point r on the x-axis (r>a). Use your result to find the E-field at r.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]V = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon _0}\int\frac{dq}{r} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've said so far:
    dQ = λdx = Qdx/2a

Then I made the substitution into the above equation, and integrated wrt x with limits ±a, leaving me with [tex]\frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon _0 r}[/tex].

However I'm not sure I made the correct integration here. I also believe that the answer for V should have λ in it somewhere. Have I gone wrong somewhere?

I haven't actually gotten round to looking at the E-field yet - I'll get there once this is completed!

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2007 #2
    Is this correct? I've spent my morning researching this, and I can't seem to find anything to compare it to - I'm a little confused as to what to do when the point is somewhere on the same line. Are my limits correct?

4. Feb 20, 2007 #3
    You could find the Electric field using gauss's law and then use E=-dV/dr to solve for V.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?