1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatics problem

1. Nov 25, 2006 #1
    Particles of charge Q1 = +62 µC, Q2 = +45 µC, and Q3 = -80 µC are placed in a line (Fig. 16-37). The center one is 0.35 m from each of the others. Calculate the net force on each charge due to the other two.

I have found the forces between Q1 - Q2, Q2 - Q3, and Q1 - Q3.

Here is my work for Q1 - Q2:

[tex]F = kq1q2/r^2

F = (8.99e9)(62e6)(45e6)/(.35)^2

F = 2.05e26 N

I entered this Force value in for Q1

Force on Q1:
    _______ N

and it marked me wrong, though I got the direction right. Am I not using the right force for Q1 or something? I am quite confused with this, any help would be very appreciated, thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2006 #2
    I realized I used µ wrong, and that it is [tex]10^-6[/tex] but I am still getting the wrong answer. I am veryy lost and confused. Maybe I should try doing this tomorrow instead of at 1 AM. but any help is appreciated.
  4. Nov 26, 2006 #3
    I am bumping this so someone can pelaseee help me with this question. I am unsure of which force value applies to which particle...for Q1 it says the force is 114 N. I got like...208 N for the Force between Q1 and Q2. Please someone help!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?