1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatics question help

1. Apr 13, 2009 #1
    A point charge Q is placed at the centre of a cube. What is the electric flux through each face of the cube.

ok so the answer is to say that since the cube is a closed surface, Gauss' Law tells us that the total flux through the cube is [itex]\frac{Q}{\epsilon_0}[/itex] and then from symmetry 1/6 of that is through each face. so the final answer is [itex]\Phi=\frac{Q}{\epsilon_0}[/itex].

I was wondering why i dont get the same answer when i do it this way:

set it up with cartesian coordinates. let's find the flux through the face with outward normal [itex]\vec{e_x}[/itex].

[itex]\vec{E}=\frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 (\frac{a}{4})^2} \vec{r}[/itex]

now [itex]\vec{r}=(\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}},)[/itex] and [itex]\vec{e_x}=(1,0,0)[/itex]
    so [itex]\Phi=\int_S \vec{E} \cdot \vec{dA} = \frac{Q}{\pi \epsilon_0 a^2} \vec{r} \cdot \vec{e_x} \int_S dA = \frac{Q}{\pi \epsilon_0 a^2} \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} a^2[/itex]

which ends up as [itex]\Phi=\frac{Q}{\sqrt{3} \pi \epsilon_0}[/itex]

obviously the first way is much easier but surely it should be possible both ways?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Electrostatics

There are two problems that I can find:

• The cube's surface is not a constant distance a/4 from the charge, as you appear to assume
    • The unit vector r^ is not (1/√3,1/√3,1/√3) everywhere on the surface.

4. Apr 14, 2009 #3

ok yeah so i see now that its not a constant a/2 from each surface

what is [itex]\hat{\mathbf{r}}[/itex] then (i really should know this!)

is it possible to do this problem this way or is gauss' law the only way?

5. Apr 14, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The vector (x,y,z) points in the same direction as r^, everywhere. Normalize that vector, and you'll have r^.

It should be possible, just not necessarily easy.

6. Apr 14, 2009 #5

yeah so [itex]({x \over |x|},{y \over |y|},{z \over |z|})[/itex]

why doesn't the one i wrote earlier work though???

7. Apr 14, 2009 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not quite, that vector just has components (±1,±1,±1). Try dividing by |r| instead of |x|, |y|, and |z|.

Not sure if this will help, but: the integral you're trying to do contains an r-hat term. What you wrote earlier is not equal to r-hat, therefore using it will give a wrong answer when you do the integral. (Or did I misunderstand your question here?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook