1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatics question, need help

1. Feb 4, 2009 #1
    Electrostatics question, need help urgent!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A small metal sphere carrying a charge of -2Q is first brought into contact with sphere R Which has a charge of +Q, and then into contact with sphere S which has a charge of +2Q, and finally into contact with sphere T which has a charge of +3Q. After making contact with the three spheres, in the stated order, the charge on the sphere at T is?

2. Relevant equations

F=kqQ/d^2

3. The attempt at a solution

Honestly, I've never learnt how to do these sort of questions. I'd just like some insight on how to do these types of questions! any help is muchly appreciated ! please help, thankyou

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Re: Electrostatics question, need help urgent!!

If the charged spheres are identical, the net charge will be shared equally by them. In the first case, after contact the net charge is -Q. So the charge on each sphere is - Q/2.
    In similar way try the other cases.

4. Feb 4, 2009 #3
    Re: Electrostatics question, need help urgent!!

Thank you. I understand how to do the question now. The answer is +15/8 Q.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?