1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatics question

1. Dec 13, 2003 #1
    Wow, it's been a long time since I've done any physics, but my sister asked me for help on a question and I am stumped.

The problem is:
    What I remember is since the two charges have different signs, the third charge must be placed outside of the other two. It cannot lie in-between the other two.

Other than that... I'm drawing a blank. Any help / helpful hints would be much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2003 #2
    Great! That's correct physical thinking, in my opinion. Another idea is that, as a consequence of symmetry, the desired position must lie on the line connecting the 2 charges. Now, since the force decreases with distance, the desired position must be further away from the big charge than fom the small charge. To solve, remember the 'inverse square law'...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?