Calculating Proton Velocity in an Electric Field | Electrostatics Question

In summary, a proton with an initial speed of 2.4 x 10^4 m/s moves in a uniform electric field with a magnitude of 3.0 x 10^3 N/C. After moving a distance of 1.0 mm, the proton's final velocity can be calculated using the equations of uniformly accelerated motion. This problem does not involve atomic scale forces and can be analyzed using classical physics.
metalmagik
A uniform electric field has a magnitude of 3.0 103 N/C. In a vacuum, a proton begins with a speed of 2.4 104 m/s and moves in the direction of this field. Find the speed of the proton after it has moved a distance of 1.0 mm.

I am confused with the fact that there is a velocity int his problem, I have not done electrostatics since last year and I do not recall any formulas with velocity or speed. I have used the equation [tex]E = F/q[/tex] to find Force...then I just don't know what to do after that, any suggestions or hints are appreciated, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if its valid on such a small scale but you could try the following:

You have the force. You know that F = ma. Once you find the acceleration, you could use a Newtonian equation of motion. I believe there is one that relates acceleration, distance, initial and final velocity. The distance is given, and the initial velocity can be taken as 0.

I think the equation is [itex]v_f^2 = v_0^2 + 2ad[/itex].

Hm, I guess I could try that. you're right, but i am also not sure if it works on an atomic scale.

metalmagik said:
Hm, I guess I could try that. you're right, but i am also not sure if it works on an atomic scale.
This is not a problem of force acting "on an atomic scale". It is a problem involving the motion of a small particle responding to an applied force moving a huge number of atomic diameters. The particle and it's motion may be analyzed using the laws of classical physics.

Ah I see, so the Uniformly Accelerated Motion equations do indeed apply? I will try some calculations if you can check them for me I would greatly appreciate it.

1. What is electrostatics and how does it differ from other branches of physics?

Electrostatics is the study of electric charges at rest. It differs from other branches of physics such as electromagnetism, which also studies electric charges in motion.

2. What is an electric charge and how is it measured?

An electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that causes it to experience a force in the presence of an electric field. It can be measured in units of coulombs (C) using an instrument called an electrometer.

3. What is the difference between conductors and insulators in terms of electrostatics?

Conductors are materials that allow the flow of electric charges, while insulators are materials that resist the flow of electric charges. This difference is important in understanding how electric charges behave in different materials.

4. How does the electric force between two charged objects change with distance?

The electric force between two charged objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases. This relationship is known as Coulomb's Law.

5. Can electric charges be created or destroyed?

No, electric charges cannot be created or destroyed. They can only be transferred from one object to another. This is known as the law of conservation of charge.