Electrostatics Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a proton accelerates from rest between two plates with a potential difference of 60.0V. The governing equations include V = E/q and Ekf - 1/2mv^2, where E is the potential difference and q is the charge of the proton. The solution involves calculating the final kinetic energy (Ekf) and solving for the speed of the proton. However, there is a mistake in the solution due to using the mass of an electron instead of a proton.
1. The problem statement, all variables and 'given'/'known' data
A proton accelerates from rest from plate X to plate Y. If the potential difference between the 2 plates is 60.0V, what is the speed of the proton when it reaches plate Y?

2. Governing equations
V = E/q
Ekf - 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

E = (60V)(1.6x10^-19C)
E = 9.6x10^-18 V/m

Ekf = 1/2mv^2
9.6E-18 J = 1/2(9.11x10^-31kg)v^2EDIT: added units

And when I solve for v my answer is not correct. So I'm making a mistake somewhere.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Good job posting the question. I'm having trouble checking your work because units are not shown throughout. Could you please include units on things like the 1.6x10^-19 term, etc.? Thanks.

added units
thanks

The mass of a proton is not 9.11e-31 Kg!

Oh dear, how could I mix that up.

I did it as an electron...

Problem solved, thanks

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest and the forces and fields associated with these charges.

2. How do electric charges interact with each other?

Electric charges interact with each other through the electromagnetic force, which can be either attractive or repulsive depending on the charges' polarity.

3. What is the difference between conductors and insulators?

Conductors are materials that allow electric charges to move freely, while insulators are materials that do not allow electric charges to move easily.

4. What is the unit of electric charge?

The unit of electric charge is the Coulomb (C).

5. How is electrostatics used in everyday life?

Electrostatics has various applications in everyday life, such as in electronic devices, air purifiers, and printers. It is also used in industries for painting, coating, and removing dust and particles from surfaces.

Suggested for: Electrostatics Question

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies