Electrostatics: Conducting Sphere in Uniform Electric Field

In summary: Oh okay thank you very much.In summary, a small conducting sphere with a charge of Q is attached to a string of length L and mass M in a uniform electric field of magnitude E. The tension in the string can be calculated using the equation Fg = Ft cos Theta, and the magnitude of the electric field can be found using the equation E = k(q/r^2). If the string is cut, the conducting sphere will move down and to the right due to the forces acting on it.
MetsFan09

Homework Statement

A small conducting sphere of mass M is attached to a string of length L. It is at rest in a uniform electrical field of magnitude E directed due right. The sphere has a charge of Q and the string makes a 30 degree angle with the electric field.

smqe85.jpg

a. Calculate the tension in the string if M = .002 kg, L = .45 M, Q = 10*10^-6 columbs

b. Calculate the magnitude of the Electric field.

c. Desrcibe what the mation of the conducting sphere would be if the string is cut

Homework Equations

E = k(q/r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

a. Fg = Ft cos Theta
(.002 *10) = ftcos30
ft = .023 N

b. E kq/r^2
E = 9 * 10 ^9(10*10^-6)/.45^2 = 444444.4 N/C

c. The coundcting sphere will move down and to the right

I'm not if I got any of the parts can someone please help me out

Physics news on Phys.org
a) should be correct
b) what you want is the magnitude of the uniform electric field, not the field produced by the point charge, might want to use Newton third law to relate columb force to tension in part a
c) if you remove the string what are the forces acting on the sphere?

ok i got a and c. but I'm having trouble with b. I'm not getting how i should relate the 3rd law to relate the columb force to the tension

well coulomb force can be expressed as F=qE , draw a force diagram like in part a and sum of forces equal zero...

What is Electrostatics?

Electrostatics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest, their interactions, and the effects of electric fields on matter.

What are the fundamental principles of Electrostatics?

The fundamental principles of Electrostatics are Coulomb's Law, which describes the force between two electric charges, and Gauss's Law, which relates the electric field to the charge distribution.

How does an object become electrically charged?

An object becomes electrically charged when it gains or loses electrons, either through friction, contact, or induction. When an object gains electrons, it becomes negatively charged, and when it loses electrons, it becomes positively charged.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in which an electric charge experiences a force. It is represented by electric field lines, which show the direction and strength of the electric field.

What are some real-life applications of Electrostatics?

Electrostatics has many real-life applications, including the operation of electric motors, the function of capacitors in electronic devices, and the use of electrostatic precipitators in air pollution control. It is also essential in the study of lightning and the behavior of charged particles in space.