1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatics question

1. Jun 20, 2005 #1
    Just got out of my E&M class lecture about Coulombs Law, I'm having trouble getting off of the ground with an electrostatics question:

Question: Three charged particles lie on the x axis (fig. 1). Particles 1 and 2 are fixed. Particle 3 is free to move, but the electrostatic force on it from particles 1 and 2 is zero. [tex]\mathbf{L}_{23} = \mathbf{L}_{12}[/tex], what is the ratio of [tex]\mbox{$\frac{q_1}{q_2}}[/tex]?

Fig. 1

-----O------------O----------------O-------------x (positive x axis)

[tex]\mathbf{L}_{12}[/tex] is the distance between Particles 1 and 2.
    [tex]\mathbf{L}_{23}[/tex] is the distance between Particles 2 and 3

This is from a section dealing exclusively with Coulombs law, so in this case I believe I am obligated to use it. I'm thinking of relating the forces on particle 1 to particles 2 and three in:

[tex] \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \frac{|q_{1}||q_{2}|}{(L_{12})^2} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \frac{|q_{1}||q_{2}|}{(L_{23})^2} [/tex]

I'm not sure this will work, but I'm not sure how to accomplish this task. Any ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2005 #2
    3 is free to move, but the electrostatic force on it from particles 1 and 2 is zero
    Your solution is going to revolve around this fact. Draw a force diagram for Particle 3. For the force to be 0, what has to be true about the interactions between all the particles?

edit: There was another thread with this exact problem, if you do a search I'm sure you'll find it.
  4. Jun 20, 2005 #3
    For the electrostatic force to be zero from particles 1 and 2, then shouldn't,#1 both 1 and 2 are electrically neutral and particle 3 is charged, #2 particles 1 and 2 are charged and particle 3 is neutral, or #3 all particles are neutral?

If #1 or #2 are the case, then as particle 3 moves towards 2, a charge should be induced on the neutral particle.

I guess I'm still having a hard time visualizing it and getting off the ground. And its my first day of E&M summer class.
  5. Jun 20, 2005 #4
    It tells you that all the particles are charged.
    The net force on particle 3 is zero.
    If you have two forces acting on it, then the only way this can happen is if the forces are equal and opposite.
  6. Jun 21, 2005 #5
    ok, so then:

[tex] \Sigma\overrightarrow{F_3} = \overrightarrow{F_{13}} + \overrightarrow{F_{23}} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \Large [ \normal \frac{|q_1||q_2|}{(2L)^2} + \frac{|q_1||q_2|}{L^2} \Large ]\normal = 0[/tex]

is this sort of on the right track? I wound up getting [tex]q_2 = -\frac{1}{4}q_1[/tex] a little later on down the road.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?