Ratio of charges in Coulomb's Law problem?

In summary, the electrostatic force on particle 3 is zero, due to the fact that all particles are charged.
podboy6
Just got out of my E&M class lecture about Coulombs Law, I'm having trouble getting off of the ground with an electrostatics question:

Question: Three charged particles lie on the x-axis (fig. 1). Particles 1 and 2 are fixed. Particle 3 is free to move, but the electrostatic force on it from particles 1 and 2 is zero. [tex]\mathbf{L}_{23} = \mathbf{L}_{12}[/tex], what is the ratio of [tex]\mbox{$\frac{q_1}{q_2}}[/tex]?

Fig. 1

-----O------------O----------------O-------------x (positive x axis)

[tex]\mathbf{L}_{12}[/tex] is the distance between Particles 1 and 2.
[tex]\mathbf{L}_{23}[/tex] is the distance between Particles 2 and 3

This is from a section dealing exclusively with Coulombs law, so in this case I believe I am obligated to use it. I'm thinking of relating the forces on particle 1 to particles 2 and three in:

[tex] \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \frac{|q_{1}||q_{2}|}{(L_{12})^2} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \frac{|q_{1}||q_{2}|}{(L_{23})^2} [/tex]

I'm not sure this will work, but I'm not sure how to accomplish this task. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
3 is free to move, but the electrostatic force on it from particles 1 and 2 is zero
Your solution is going to revolve around this fact. Draw a force diagram for Particle 3. For the force to be 0, what has to be true about the interactions between all the particles?

edit: There was another thread with this exact problem, if you do a search I'm sure you'll find it.

For the electrostatic force to be zero from particles 1 and 2, then shouldn't,#1 both 1 and 2 are electrically neutral and particle 3 is charged, #2 particles 1 and 2 are charged and particle 3 is neutral, or #3 all particles are neutral?

If #1 or #2 are the case, then as particle 3 moves towards 2, a charge should be induced on the neutral particle.

I guess I'm still having a hard time visualizing it and getting off the ground. And its my first day of E&M summer class.

It tells you that all the particles are charged.
The net force on particle 3 is zero.
If you have two forces acting on it, then the only way this can happen is if the forces are equal and opposite.

ok, so then:

[tex] \Sigma\overrightarrow{F_3} = \overrightarrow{F_{13}} + \overrightarrow{F_{23}} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \Large [ \normal \frac{|q_1||q_2|}{(2L)^2} + \frac{|q_1||q_2|}{L^2} \Large ]\normal = 0[/tex]

is this sort of on the right track? I wound up getting [tex]q_2 = -\frac{1}{4}q_1[/tex] a little later on down the road.

What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest or in a stationary state. It involves the study of electric fields, forces, and potential energy between charged particles.

What are the fundamental laws of electrostatics?

The fundamental laws of electrostatics include Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Another fundamental law is Gauss's law, which relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the enclosed charge.

What are conductors and insulators?

Conductors are materials that allow electric charges to flow freely through them, while insulators are materials that prevent the flow of electric charges. Metals, such as copper and aluminum, are good conductors, while rubber and glass are good insulators.

What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V). Electric potential energy, on the other hand, is the energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is measured in joules (J).

What are the applications of electrostatics in everyday life?

Electrostatics has many practical applications in our daily lives. Some examples include the operation of electronic devices, such as cell phones and computers, which rely on electric charges and fields. Electrostatic precipitators are also used to remove dust and pollutants from industrial exhaust gases. Additionally, electrostatic forces are utilized in printers, photocopiers, and air filters.