Electrostimulators and ultrasound machines for healing

In summary, electrostimulation therapy is used to speed the healing process for injuries, however there are no real benefits to using it aside from placebo. It is used in conjunction with other methods to increase healing speed.
Mk
I heard something about electrostimulators and ultrasound thingys that athletes can use over their sprains and alike that will help them heal faster. Sounds like quackery to me, but what is it about?

Biology news on Phys.org
Mk said:
I heard something about electrostimulators and ultrasound thingys that athletes can use over their sprains and alike that will help them heal faster. Sounds like quackery to me, but what is it about?

Ultrasound units are used to a limited extent in the physical therapy field as a treatment for sprains (not the kind of ultrasound the OB uses). The ultrasound uses sound waves which are conveyed from the skin to the surrounding tissues which causes tissue warming. The warming results in two basic vasodilation and tissue relaxation. Also, depending on the frequency of the sound waves, it is possible to decrease swelling.

If you would like to read into this, I can suggest good research articles on the subject.

I had electrostimulation therapy done on a severely sprained ankle that I got about a year ago. This was done as part of the physical therapy regimen that my sports medicine doc set me up with. Therapy began after the initial "healing" process, when a majority of the swelling was gone, but I was left with limited mobility and muscle strength. In combination with ice/heat therapy and stretching exercises, the electrostimulation is used to bring the muscle groups surrounding the injured area back into condition following the period of disuse. This method of electrically stimulating the muscle to contract will work the muscle gently (depending on stimulation intensity) and will not put unnecessary pressure on the joint while it is still recovering. It was an interesting sensation, I could really feel it tensing and releasing the muscles. I didn't go to as many therapy sessions as suggested because it was just way too expensive, and my ankle is fine (not 100%, but I can run on it). However, I can see how such a treatment would be beneficial to a faster, safer recovery.

The ultrasound, as cbass69187 puts it, is more on the heat-generation side of recovery which aids in increased circulation/oxygenation and all the benefits of that.

Hi all,

I worked with a TENS manufacturer and I'm a PT.
Actually US (ulstrasound) is out. Studies have shown that efficiency is coming more from placebo than units.
ESTIM (electrical stimulation) used to develop muscle mass is a myth. There is no muscle increase without effort.

But it was used in conjunction of high loading for sprinters. All said that it was like hell!

1. What are electrostimulators and ultrasound machines used for in healing?

Electrostimulators and ultrasound machines are medical devices that use electrical stimulation and ultrasound waves to promote healing and pain relief in injured or damaged muscles, tendons, and soft tissues. They are commonly used in physical therapy and rehabilitation settings.

2. How do electrostimulators and ultrasound machines work?

Electrostimulators use small electrical currents to stimulate nerves and muscles, causing them to contract and relax. This can help improve circulation, reduce pain, and promote healing. Ultrasound machines use high-frequency sound waves to generate heat within the body's tissues, which can also aid in healing and pain relief.

3. What are the benefits of using electrostimulators and ultrasound machines for healing?

These devices can help alleviate pain, reduce inflammation, and improve circulation in injured or damaged tissues. They can also help speed up the healing process and improve range of motion in affected areas.

4. Are there any risks or side effects associated with using electrostimulators and ultrasound machines?

While generally safe, there are some risks and potential side effects associated with using these devices. These may include skin irritation, muscle soreness, and in rare cases, burns or tissue damage. It is important to follow proper usage guidelines and consult with a healthcare professional before using these devices.

5. Can anyone use electrostimulators and ultrasound machines for healing?

These devices are generally safe for most individuals to use, but it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before using them. Certain factors, such as pregnancy, pacemakers, and certain medical conditions, may make these devices unsuitable for use. It is also important to follow proper usage instructions to avoid any potential risks or side effects.