Understanding Electrotechnics Problems: Explanation and Solutions

• Thread starter TomTom1337
  • Start date
In summary: Z = 1Ω + 1/j*50Hz*(10/3∏)mF = 1Ω + 1000*3∏/j*2∏*50Hz*10F = 1Ω + 3/j ΩIs this solution correct? How to pay attention on direction, can you explain? Thanks!Yes, that looks correct. To pay attention to the directions, just make sure you are using the correct signs for the potential and current values when you plug them into the equations.
TomTom1337

Homework Statement

Ok, this is not actually a homework, but I still need help ... would somebody be so kind and explain me how to solve these 4 questions? Thanks! I already have answers on them (all answers are true/false type ... but I need to know WHY). Thanks!

[/quote]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) LED light: When both inputs in AND gate are true (positive), current will flow through them to the LED. But since second AND gate input is hardwired to negative, how can switch S1 turn ON/OFF the LED? I really do not understand.

2) Not a clue on this one.

3) Same as above, I do not a have a clue. It there a similar problem with a complete solution so I can learn by "reverse engineering"?

4) a) First number in equation tells the effective voltage?
b) Looks like the answer is first number * 2/pi, but can somebody explain me why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
TomTom1337 said:

Homework Statement

Ok, this is not actually a homework, but I still need help ... would somebody be so kind and explain me how to solve these 4 questions? Thanks! I already have answers on them (all answers are true/false type ... but I need to know WHY). Thanks!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) LED light: When both inputs in AND gate are true (positive), current will flow through them to the LED. But since second AND gate input is hardwired to negative, how can switch S1 turn ON/OFF the LED? I really do not understand.

2) Not a clue on this one.

3) Same as above, I do not a have a clue. It there a similar problem with a complete solution so I can learn by "reverse engineering"?

4) a) First number in equation tells the effective voltage?
b) Looks like the answer is first number * 2/pi, but can somebody explain me why?

Welcome to the PF.

You said you have the T/F answers for all of them. Can you post those please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure. All of them are true.

TomTom1337 said:
Sure. All of them are true.

Well, the first one is clearly false...

What do you mean? No matter which position the switch S1 is, LED will always be OFF?

TomTom1337 said:
What do you mean? No matter which position the switch S1 is, LED will always be OFF?

You are correct in your analysis. And the question asks if the position of the switch affects the operation of the LED. That is clearly not true.

Likes 1 person
Official statement is: "LED is ON regardless of position the switch S1 is in". True or false?

So the catch is in the first part of the statement - LED is never ON? If yes, I understand and do not need any explanation why.

TomTom1337 said:
Official statement is: "LED is ON regardless of position the switch S1 is in". True or false?

So the catch is in the first part of the statement - LED is never ON? If yes, I understand and do not need any explanation why.

Well that's not what you posted. Are the wordings of any of the other problems different from what you posted? Not giving you a bad time here, just wanting to get things straight.

No, I just changed statement in question #1. All others are "intact".

TomTom1337 said:
No, I just changed statement in question #1. All others are "intact".

Well, the answer to #2 appears false as well, or at least there is a typo. Can you describe how you should go about approaching this problem? What are the impedances of the resistor and capacitor at the given frequency? That's why we ask for the "Relevant Equations"...

I really have no idea right now ...

... and I also doubt the answer to the #2 is false, since official answer is "true".

TomTom1337 said:
I really have no idea right now ...

Then you should go back and re-read that section of your course materials. You can also read about "phasors" at wikipedia. You need to show some effort in figuring out these problems. That's part of the PF rules (see the Site Info link at the top of the page).

TomTom1337 said:
... and I also doubt the answer to the #2 is false, since official answer is "true".

Then it may just be a typo in the answer that is listed...

berkeman said:
Then you should go back and re-read that section of your course materials. You can also read about "phasors" at wikipedia. You need to show some effort in figuring out these problems. That's part of the PF rules (see the Site Info link at the top of the page).

I have read the wiki and my materials, but I still cannot figure it out.

I need to find impedance (Z) of the circuit first. In my case, I have 2 elements in serial connection (resistor + capacitor), so:

Z = R + 1/jωC = 1Ω + 1/j*50Hz*(10/3pi)mF = ...

Is my equation correct? How to solve it (what to do with that (10/3pi)mF?)?

After that I can find the I by solving equation I = U / Z?

Can somebody provide some help?

TomTom1337 said:
I have read the wiki and my materials, but I still cannot figure it out.

I need to find impedance (Z) of the circuit first. In my case, I have 2 elements in serial connection (resistor + capacitor), so:

Z = R + 1/jωC = 1Ω + 1/j*50Hz*(10/3pi)mF = ...

Is my equation correct? How to solve it (what to do with that (10/3pi)mF?)?

After that I can find the I by solving equation I = U / Z?

You're on the right track. Convert the mF units to F (1000 mF = 1 F). Convert the frequency f to angular frequency ω. Then the units for the capacitor term will reduce to Ohms.

When you go to solve for the current, be SURE to pay attention to the directions of the potential and current indicated on the diagram :wink:

Ok, so:

Z = 1Ω + 1/j*50Hz*(10/3∏)mF = 1Ω + 1000*3∏/j*2∏*50Hz*10F = 1Ω + 3/j Ω

Is this solution correct? How to pay attention on direction, can you explain? Thanks!

... and then:

I = U/Z = 230V/1Ω+(3/j)Ω = 230A + j(230/3)A

Correct?

TomTom1337 said:
Ok, so:

Z = 1Ω + 1/j*50Hz*(10/3∏)mF = 1Ω + 1000*3∏/j*2∏*50Hz*10F = 1Ω + 3/j Ω

Is this solution correct?
Yes, although it is common practice to move the "j" to the numerator to render the value into the canonical form of a complex number: a + bj .
How to pay attention on direction, can you explain? Thanks!
Look at the diagram. Which direction is the voltage source polarity? Which direction should that source drive current around the loop? What direction is indicated for the assumed current? Do the two match?

gneill said:
Yes, although it is common practice to move the "j" to the numerator to render the value into the canonical form of a complex number: a + bj .

... so the result in "correct" form in my case is?

Look at the diagram. Which direction is the voltage source polarity? Which direction should that source drive current around the loop? What direction is indicated for the assumed current? Do the two match?

I see. I tought that does not matter since we have alternating current. So the final answer (current I) should be negative (but is otherwise correct)?

TomTom1337 said:
... so the result in "correct" form in my case is?
Normalize the imaginary term: get rid of the "j" in the denominator by multiplying its top and bottom by j.
I see. I tought that does not matter since we have alternating current. So the final answer (current I) should be negative (but is otherwise correct)?
Even AC sources have a polarity in order to keep track of the phase relationships throughout the circuit. You'll see voltage measurements with phase angles in a circuit, such as: 240V ∠17° . Those angles have to have some reference. So if the power supply is taken as the reference and it's a sinusoidal signal, then it needs to have a polarity (direction) since -sin(x) is 180° offset from sin(x), and -cos(x) is 180° offset from cos(x).

If the current you calculate is for the opposite direction of the assumed current on the diagram, then yes, multiply by -1 to "flip" the direction to match.

OK, everything clear now. Big thanks!

Now I need help with next one, case #3. Any hint?

TomTom1337 said:
Now I need help with next one, case #3. Any hint?

I don't understand the question, so I have no hints to give! Perhaps someone else will recognize the type of question and be able to interpret it...

1. What is electrotechnics?

Electrotechnics is the branch of engineering that deals with the study and application of electric power and electronic devices. This includes the generation, transmission, and distribution of electricity, as well as the design and operation of various electrical systems and equipment.

2. What are some common electrotechnics problems?

Some common electrotechnics problems include power outages, electrical malfunctions, circuit overloads, and voltage fluctuations. These issues can be caused by a variety of factors, such as faulty wiring, damaged equipment, or inadequate power supply.

3. How can I understand and solve electrotechnics problems?

To understand and solve electrotechnics problems, it is important to have a solid understanding of electrical principles and circuit analysis techniques. This can be achieved through education and practical experience. Additionally, troubleshooting skills and knowledge of electrical codes and regulations can also help in solving these problems.

4. What are some common solutions to electrotechnics problems?

Some common solutions to electrotechnics problems include repairing or replacing faulty equipment, rewiring circuits, installing surge protectors, and upgrading electrical systems to meet safety standards. It is important to consult a professional electrician for complex or potentially dangerous problems.

5. How can I prevent electrotechnics problems?

To prevent electrotechnics problems, it is important to follow proper maintenance and safety procedures for electrical systems and equipment. This includes regularly inspecting and testing equipment, avoiding overloading circuits, and using surge protectors. It is also important to stay updated on electrical codes and regulations and to hire a licensed electrician for any major installations or repairs.