Elegant Universe TV show streaming Video

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
I just love this 3 hour documentary about the elegant universe.

linhtm, you cannot download them due to copywrite issues.

How small is the "string" compared to an atom?

thats stupid:biggrin: .string is only a imagination tool ,atom is matter:biggrin:

selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Raza said:
How small is the "string" compared to an atom?

It's not absolutely pinned down, but one relationship I've seen offered is Planck Length : string length :::: string length : proton diameter.

If a string was the size of a proton, then the proton would be the size of the Earth. And the Earth would be the size of the entire observable Universe.

Shekwan said:
oh, I'm doing a research paper on superstring theory, and I have used the document as a source, can anyone tell me when did the program first air?
Check the PBS website.

I just saw this miniseries and I have to say that it was quite interesting. String theory is indeed seductive. LOL

Trivial statement in part 3

The series was recently rerun on PBS.

Greene stated that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line [paraphrased] - which is technically correct only in the plane.

A geodesic is shortest distance between two points in curved space with the straight line the geodesic of the plane.

I read the book, The Elegant universe, and liked it. Although string theory seems a little stechy when it comes to sub-planck lengths, it overall does seem like an unproved version of the T.O.E.

It is really great stuff. I should add this to the Romanian portal of popularization of particle physics I created for Clubul Fizica particulelor-portal de popularizare a fizicii particulelor: http://fizicaparticulelor.ro [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
What a disappointment you cant watch this show in Sweden...