1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Element Density of Period 2

1. Oct 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Which of the elements, from the second period, has the highest density in its standard state?

2. Relevant equations
    Standard state is gas at 1 atm, concentration of 1 M for liquid, or pure substance at 25C and 1 atm.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought that N, O, F, and Ne could be removed from possibilities because they are gases. Then I looked it up and found Boron had the largest density, but that was incorrect.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What did you find for densities for all the solids in that period?

4. Oct 24, 2008 #3
    I found:
    Li: .534 g/cm^3
    Be: 1.85 g/cm^3
    B: 2.34 g/cm^3
    C: 2.267 g/cm^3
    N: .00125 g/cm^3
    O: .00149 g/cm^3
    F: .001696 g/cm^3
    Ne: .0008999 g/cm^3

5. Oct 25, 2008 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I would say boron in the standard state is the densest.

There is a little catch here - diamond (which is a pure carbon) has much higher denisty, something like 3.5 g/mL. But diamonds are not thermodynamically stable - they convert to graphite. Conversion is so slow, that for all practical purposes diamonds are stable - but thermodynamically they are not. Thus they are not standard state of the carbon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?