Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Element elimination

1. Feb 19, 2013 #1
    I want to why actually elements are eliminated in commercial fea solvers.
    There is a criterion like stress or strain at which elements having acheived that state are eliminated.
    Wouldnt it lead to wrong results because, the material at eliminated elements place has become null.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2013 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What type of analysis are you talking about here?

"Eliminating elements" could mean different things in different contexts.

4. Feb 19, 2013 #3
    I was trying to understand ball impact on a steel plate. So we can take it as explicit, impact analysis.
    I am talking about elimination of elements of plate on impact of the ball.

5. Feb 19, 2013 #4

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The only context I can think of where elements are "eliminated" in an explicit FEA solve would be in an explosion or destructive impact event where material is being destroyed.

6. Feb 19, 2013 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Destroyed" isn't quite the right word, but if the material in an element is deformed or damaged so much that it can no longer transmit any loads (e.g. the compressive stress exceeds the crushing strength of the material) deleting the element from the model is a simple way to represent that behaviour.

7. Feb 19, 2013 #6

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As you said AlephZero, it all depends on what he means by "eliminating elements."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook