Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Element order in factor groups

1. Oct 28, 2008 #1
    I'm currently studying factor groups in abstract algebra and needed some help understanding how to determine the order of an element in a factor group

Suppose I have Z (mod 12) / <4>. And I choose some random element from Z (mod 12) such as 5 or 7. How would I go about determining the order of 5 + <4> or 7 + <4> in the factor group. The way I understand is that in Z (mod 12) / <4> we collapse everything in <4> to the identity in Z (mod 12) so that 5 for instance would have order |{5,10,3,8}| = 4 because 8 is an identity in the factor group. Any help or correction on my admittedly poor understanding would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2008 #2
    From a theorem, i believe, if the index of a normal group, N, in a group G is say, like in your case 4. then the order of the factro group G/N is 4. So, by lagranges theorem for every el in G/N, say C, C^4=N (identity). Now in your case, the order of Z_12/<4> is 4, so there will be 4 distinct cosets of <4> in Z_12, all of length 3, which makes me think, that the order of any of the el. in Z_12/<4> is going to be 3.

4. Nov 2, 2010 #3
    The way I understand it is list the elements of the factor group. <4>={0,4,8} then list the factors of the element you are trying to find the order of. 5, 10, 3, 8 Stop it took 4 times to get to an element in the factor group. Therefore the element has an order of 4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?