Proving or Disproving |a^2|=|b^2| when |a|=|b| in Group Z20

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the problem states that if the orders of a^2 and b^2 are equal, then the orders of a and b must also be equal. This holds true for any group, not just Z20. The concept of order in a group is defined as the smallest positive integer n such that a^n = e, where e is the identity element. Using this definition, we can prove that if |a^2| = |b^2|, then |a| = |b|.
tyrannosaurus

Homework Statement

If |a^2|=|b^2|, prove or disprove that |a|=|b|.

Homework Equations

|x| means the order of the element x.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let consider the group Z20. |a^2|=|b^2| when a = 2 and b = 4 (since the order of 4 and 8 are both 5 in z20). But |2| does not equal the order of 4 in Z20. But I know that this is not enough, due to that the problem, does not give us anything about the group or the elements of the group. Plus I think I am certain that i need to generalize more instead of giving just one example. If anyone got any advice for me on this, it would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up this interesting question. I would like to provide some insights and a possible solution to this problem. First of all, we need to understand the concept of order in a group. The order of an element is the smallest positive integer n such that a^n = e, where e is the identity element in the group. In other words, the order of an element is the number of times we need to apply the group operation to the element in order to get the identity element.

Now, let's consider the given statement: |a^2|=|b^2|. This means that the orders of a^2 and b^2 are equal. Using the definition of order, we can rewrite this as (a^2)^n = e and (b^2)^n = e for some positive integer n. This also implies that (a^n)^2 = e and (b^n)^2 = e.

Now, if we take the square root of both sides, we get |a^n| = |b^n|. This means that the orders of a^n and b^n are also equal. But we know that the order of a^n is the same as the order of a, and similarly for b^n. Therefore, we can conclude that |a| = |b|.

In other words, if the orders of a^2 and b^2 are equal, then the orders of a and b must also be equal. This proves the given statement: if |a^2| = |b^2|, then |a| = |b|. This holds true for any group, not just Z20.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify your doubts. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

1. What is an element order proof?

An element order proof is a mathematical proof that shows the number of elements in a group or set. It is used to determine the order of a group, which is the number of elements in the group.

2. How is an element order proof conducted?

An element order proof typically involves showing that a set of elements follows a specific pattern or rule, and then using that pattern to determine the total number of elements in the group. This can involve mathematical equations, logical reasoning, and other methods.

3. What is the importance of element order proof?

Element order proof is important in mathematics as it helps us understand the structure and properties of groups or sets. It also allows us to make predictions and solve problems related to these groups.

4. Can element order proof be used in real-life applications?

Yes, element order proof can be applied in various fields such as cryptography, computer science, and physics. For example, it is used in computer algorithms to determine the efficiency and complexity of a program.

5. Are there any common mistakes when conducting an element order proof?

Some common mistakes when conducting an element order proof include not considering all possible cases, using incorrect mathematical principles, and making assumptions without proper justification. It is important to double-check all steps and assumptions when conducting an element order proof.