1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elementary analysis text

1. Aug 28, 2009 #1

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

Introduction to Analysis by Maxwell Rosenlicht
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0486650383/ref=pd_luc_sbs_02_02

Elementary Real and Complex Analysis by Georgi Shilov
    https://www.amazon.com/Elementary-C...athematics/dp/0486689220/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

Introductory Real Analysis by Kolmogorov
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0486612260/ref=pd_luc_sbs_02_01

Which one is best suited for self-studying introduction to analysis? Opinions on each one of them would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2009 #2

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

4. Aug 30, 2009 #3

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

opinions on any of the books listed above?

5. Aug 30, 2009 #4
    I have Shilov, and it's certainly adequate for self-study assuming this is for a first go at analysis. I would say kolmogorov is more advanced and not necessarily adequate for a first exploration. Kolmogorov goes all the way into measure whereas Shilov doesn't go beyond metric spaces. Alternatively, if you want a gentle introduction, try Michael J Schramm though there aren't any hints or solutions as opposed to Shilov's. It's Dover too.

6. Aug 30, 2009 #5
    What background do you have in analysis? Calculus at the level of Stewart, or something more advanced?

7. Aug 30, 2009 #6

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

Would you recommend Schramm's over Shilov's?

8. Aug 30, 2009 #7
    Hard to say, I guess it depends on your learning style. I really liked Schramm's style over Shilov, they're both roughly on the same level of difficulty as far as problems. Schramm is a bit chattier and elaborates on consequences of theorems and their importance. It's nice for students like me who haven't yet reached enough mathematical maturity. I also think his progression is a bit more natural. I certainly like Schramm better than Shilov, but either is good, and Shilov has hints/answers.

9. Aug 30, 2009 #8

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

How about depth? Which book covers more depth?

10. Aug 30, 2009 #9
    I suspect Schramm has more depth since Shilov's book spends a lot of room on some theorems and results of complex analysis. Once Schramm covers the basic theorems of differentiation and integration he moves on to questions of continuity of special functions (dirichlet, and van de waerden) and then the briefest glimpse of measure theory. At the end he constructs the real numbers via dedekind cuts. Also, Shilov spends some time on certain topics that are usually covered in calculus such as arc length and surfaces of revolution.

11. Sep 4, 2009 #10
    I recommend Analysis: With an Introduction to Proof by Steven Lay as a starter in analysis. The analysis book by Creighton Buck is very good as well.

12. Sep 5, 2009 #11

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I second the nomination of Analysis: with an introduction to proof, by Lay. I recently worked through the 2nd edition of this book and felt like it was at the perfect level for me - I had never taken analysis. It starts you off with logic an proof, goes through sets, functions and cardinality in detail before moving on to the real numbers, continuity, etc. It is not as advanced as some intro books (my wife used Rudin as a math major - not so easy for a beginner!) but will give you a pretty solid understanding of elementary analysis. I thought that the 2nd edition was fine - it was also pretty cheap used online.

Good luck.

Jason

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook