1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elementary Charge- NEED HELP

1. Jan 14, 2004 #1
    Elementary Charge- NEED HELP!!!

Object 1, a conductor with a positive charge og 0.02 C is brought into contact with an identical neutral object 2.

How many electrons move from one object to the other and in which direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please post your questions here, in the homework help forum. Also, please provide the work you've done so far, so that we can help you get unstuck.

What do you think of this problem?

- Warren

4. Jan 14, 2004 #3
    My Work..

I know that we need to use the formula Q=ne and we have the value for Q (0.02C). We can also use teh constant for e which is 1.60 * 10 6 -19 ... i do not know the signs of teh two values... Please tell me if i am on the right path.. and help me solve the problem.. Thank you.

5. Jan 14, 2004 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Forget the formulas. You know the charge will distribute itself equally on both objects, since they are identical.

- Warren

6. Jan 14, 2004 #5
    ???

So.. the charge will be 0.01C on both and electrons will be transferred from #1 to #2....????

7. Jan 14, 2004 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bingo.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?