Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elementary dichlorination rxn

1. Nov 3, 2004 #1

Cyclopentane is dichlorinated and I have to write down the structures of all the dichlorinated cyclopentanes formed. I took monochlorocyclopentane and monochlorinated it. The point is that I get confused with the stereochemistry here since the answer is different from the one I have computed. Supposing I take monochlorocyclopentane, I can get the (1,1), (1,2) and (1,3) dichloro derivatives. The (1,1) is achiralic so it poses no problem. That means I get the following products:

1. 1,1-dichloro cyclopentane. I know that when the second chlorine is cis to the first one, we have a meso product. But when it is trans, are there two possible products (enantiomeric)? If yes, then a racemic mixture should be formed right?

2. 1,3-dichloro product (same problem as part (1)).

The correct answer is 5 products of which 2 are optically active. I would be very grateful if someone could give me a detailed description of this (diagrams would be appreciated but a description will do for I can figure out myself).

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2004 #2
    It seems natural to me that the following products will be formed

1. (meso)1,2-dichlorocyclopentane
    2. (rac)1,2-dichlorocyclopentane (this means the trans attack produces its enantiomer too...)
    3. 1,3-dichlorocyclopentane (this wouldn't be optically active since there is no chiral carbon in the first place)
    4. 1,1-dichlorocyclopentane

Now I need help figuring out why should we call these 5 products (in principle the racemic mixture is a mixture so we get 4 products right?). But if we do consider the racemic mixture as being composed of two distinct products then 5 products are indeed formed and two--the enantiomers--are optically active. So I believe that part is figured out. Is my reasoning correct? Thanks anyway.

4. Nov 5, 2004 #3
    I'm sorry but I gave the wrong answer: the correct answer is 7 isomers. Could you please help me?
  5. Nov 5, 2004 #4

Science Advisor

I think you have all of the right compounds. I count 7 isomers if you think of a racemic mixture as a mix of two isomers (stereoisomers).

Are you confused by the stereoisomer/diastereomer nomenclature?
  6. Nov 7, 2004 #5
    Thanks movies. I had trouble visualizing the 1,3-dichloro product. (Perhaps I still do...yeah I get confused sometimes). Regarding the earlier problem, I was seeing a plane of symmetry in 1,3-dichlorocyclopentane...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2004
  7. Nov 7, 2004 #6

Science Advisor

There are three possible stereoisomers for 1,3-dichlorocyclopentane. The meso one does have a plane of symmetry but the other two do not.
  8. Nov 7, 2004 #7
    Rember the total number number of steroisomer possible is 2**n where n is the number of sterogenic center contained with the compound. Beware that this not allways the case. If the compound is meso, it has one less steroisomer.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?