What are the Possible Products in the Dichlorination of Cyclopentane?

• Thread starter maverick280857
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elementary
In summary, the conversation was about the confusion surrounding the formation of dichlorinated cyclopentanes. The speaker was trying to determine the correct number and structures of products formed when monochlorocyclopentane is dichlorinated. They discussed the stereochemistry and possible isomers for each product, and eventually came to the conclusion that there are 7 isomers in total, with 2 of them being optically active. The conversation also touched on the topic of stereoisomers and diastereomers.
maverick280857
Hello

Cyclopentane is dichlorinated and I have to write down the structures of all the dichlorinated cyclopentanes formed. I took monochlorocyclopentane and monochlorinated it. The point is that I get confused with the stereochemistry here since the answer is different from the one I have computed. Supposing I take monochlorocyclopentane, I can get the (1,1), (1,2) and (1,3) dichloro derivatives. The (1,1) is achiralic so it poses no problem. That means I get the following products:

1. 1,1-dichloro cyclopentane. I know that when the second chlorine is cis to the first one, we have a meso product. But when it is trans, are there two possible products (enantiomeric)? If yes, then a racemic mixture should be formed right?

2. 1,3-dichloro product (same problem as part (1)).

The correct answer is 5 products of which 2 are optically active. I would be very grateful if someone could give me a detailed description of this (diagrams would be appreciated but a description will do for I can figure out myself).

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It seems natural to me that the following products will be formed

1. (meso)1,2-dichlorocyclopentane
2. (rac)1,2-dichlorocyclopentane (this means the trans attack produces its enantiomer too...)
3. 1,3-dichlorocyclopentane (this wouldn't be optically active since there is no chiral carbon in the first place)
4. 1,1-dichlorocyclopentane

Now I need help figuring out why should we call these 5 products (in principle the racemic mixture is a mixture so we get 4 products right?). But if we do consider the racemic mixture as being composed of two distinct products then 5 products are indeed formed and two--the enantiomers--are optically active. So I believe that part is figured out. Is my reasoning correct? Thanks anyway.

Cheers
vivek

I'm sorry but I gave the wrong answer: the correct answer is 7 isomers. Could you please help me?

I think you have all of the right compounds. I count 7 isomers if you think of a racemic mixture as a mix of two isomers (stereoisomers).

Are you confused by the stereoisomer/diastereomer nomenclature?

Thanks movies. I had trouble visualizing the 1,3-dichloro product. (Perhaps I still do...yeah I get confused sometimes). Regarding the earlier problem, I was seeing a plane of symmetry in 1,3-dichlorocyclopentane...

Cheers
Vivek

Last edited:
There are three possible stereoisomers for 1,3-dichlorocyclopentane. The meso one does have a plane of symmetry but the other two do not.

Rember the total number number of steroisomer possible is 2**n where n is the number of sterogenic center contained with the compound. Beware that this not allways the case. If the compound is meso, it has one less steroisomer.

1. What is an elementary dichlorination reaction?

An elementary dichlorination reaction is a chemical reaction in which two chlorine atoms are added to a molecule, resulting in the formation of two new single bonds. This type of reaction is often used in organic chemistry to synthesize new compounds.

2. How is an elementary dichlorination reaction different from a regular chlorination reaction?

In an elementary dichlorination reaction, only two chlorine atoms are added to the molecule, whereas in a regular chlorination reaction, multiple chlorine atoms can be added. Additionally, an elementary dichlorination reaction is a stepwise process, whereas a regular chlorination reaction can occur in one step.

3. What are the products of an elementary dichlorination reaction?

The products of an elementary dichlorination reaction are a molecule with two new single bonds and two chlorine atoms. The specific product will depend on the starting molecule and reaction conditions.

4. What are some examples of molecules that undergo an elementary dichlorination reaction?

Some examples of molecules that undergo an elementary dichlorination reaction include alkanes, alkenes, and aromatics. For example, cyclohexane can undergo an elementary dichlorination reaction to form 1,2-dichlorocyclohexane.

5. What are the key factors that influence the rate of an elementary dichlorination reaction?

The key factors that influence the rate of an elementary dichlorination reaction include the strength of the C-Cl bonds in the starting molecule, the stability of the intermediate formed during the reaction, and the concentration of the reactants. Temperature and the presence of catalysts can also affect the rate of the reaction.