Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elementary differential equations

1. May 19, 2005 #1

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I plan to take the course elementary differential equations during the summer period, however I have experience up till integral calculus, which I just completed. Would anyone here advise another class should be taken before differential equations (such as multivariable calculus) or that it is too early for me to take the course? I would appreciate your comments.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2005 #2
    At ASU and from what I've seen, to get a comprehensive view of DE's you need up to calc 3 (multivariable and vector calculus).

4. May 19, 2005 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You will typically meet only ordinary diff.eq's in an intro course, so multi-variable calculus isn't too relevant in this context (it's not useless of course, but..) .
    However, if you haven't had linear algebra yet, I'd recommend you to take a course in that instead.

5. May 19, 2005 #4

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That doesn't sound good...do you know of any introductory versions of the course (I believe ours is called elementary differential equations), perhaps your's is a more intense version for physicists and engineers.

6. May 19, 2005 #5
    M MAT 274 Elementary Differential Equations. (3)
    fall and spring or summer
    Introduces ordinary differential equations, adapted to the needs of students in engineering and the sciences. Credit is allowed for only MAT 274 or 275 toward a mathematics degree. Prerequisites: MAT 271 (or its equivalent); MAT 272 (or its equivalent) recommended.

271 is calc II, 272 is calc III. It then goes on to 275 for Modern DE.
    The next DE class is 400 level.

7. May 19, 2005 #6

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Really, so it would be fine to take linear algebra right after integral calculus? Why linear algebra before differential equations?

8. May 19, 2005 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Because, for example, to solve systems of linear differential equations, knowledge of the behaviour of matrices and vectors is very useful (for example the concept of eigenvectors/values).
    You still have only one independent variable (hence, you're in ODE's and not PDE's), but your solution is a vector function.

9. May 19, 2005 #8

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hmm...I was hoping to get acquainted with differential equations early since a lot of it seems useful towards understanding chemistry phenomenas in detail, I guess I'll have to ask the professor to be sure.

I'll have to peruse through a linear algebra text to see which is more useful, and which would be better to learn early on.

10. May 19, 2005 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I'm not saying that multi-variable calculus is useless; it's absolutely crucial later on.
    However, my response was made as it was because it seemed to me that this would be your very first meeting with diff.eq's; quite soon thereafter, linear algebra techniques will be used.

11. May 19, 2005 #10

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ahh, I see. So a lot of linear algebra has to do with vectors? Don't you think that it would be better to take linear algebra during the regular semester rather than the summer?

I had my eye on differential equations, since it seemed to involve a heavy application of calculus and integral calculus, rather than learning relatively new material associated with linear algebra.

12. May 19, 2005 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

True enough; there's a lot to cover if you were to cram everything into the summer...
    In that case, I think a "stand-alone" intro course in diff.eq's is more than enough to occupy you during the summer.

13. May 19, 2005 #12
    Im interested in learning diff eq this summer also. I'll be abroad for a month and dont think I can go that long without math :eek:

14. May 19, 2005 #13

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Alright, so differential equations it is...thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?