1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elementary function for n > 0 is n=1

1. Dec 20, 2004 #1
    [tex] \int x^n \cdot \sqrt{1-x^n} \ dx [/tex]
    It seems as the only time this is an elementary function for n > 0 is n=1 and n=2, can you prove / disprove this? n is an integer

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2004 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] \int x^{n}\sqrt{1-x^{n}} dx=\int (-\frac{x}{n})(-nx^{n-1})\sqrt{1-x^{n}} dx=-\frac{2}{3}\frac{x}{n}(1-x^{n})^{\frac{3}{2}} +\frac{2}{3n}\int (1-x^{n})^{\frac{3}{2}} dx [/tex]

The last integral can be solved immediately for "n=1" and through a sin/cos substitution for "n=2".As for "n>=3" (natural) it is impossible to solve analitically and express it through "elementary functions".

Daniel.

4. Dec 21, 2004 #3
    Can you prove that?

5. Dec 21, 2004 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not a mathematician and i'm not claiming to be one.That assertion was purely based on my mathematical "flair" and on my past experience of solving integrals.For a proof or for a counterexample i'd advise you to consult a book which extensively covers integration in general and elliptic integrals in particular.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?