Explaining y=abs(x) as an Elementary Function

In summary, the conversation is about proving that y=abs(x) is an elementary function. The participants discuss the definition of an elementary function and how it does not seem to apply to y=abs(x). They also mention using the definition of absolute value to show that it is an elementary function.
trelek2
I have looked up what an elementary function is but I'm still stuck with showing that
y=abs(x) is one.

Can anyone explain how to show this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What are you given for the definition of elementary function? Under the one I am familiar with, y=|x| is not.

Well, can't see how it is either. Its just that the problems says I have to show that it is.
I looked the definition up on wikipedia.

Maybe I'm supposed to write that it isn't?

I believe that f(x) = |x| is an elementary function. Hint: Express it in terms of squares and square roots.

cheers!

It is an elementary function. Think of it as |a| = SQRT(a^2)

Wiki gives a great little explanation on it, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_value"

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the definition of the absolute value function?

The absolute value function, denoted by |x|, is a mathematical function that gives the distance between a number and 0 on a number line. It always returns a positive value.

How is the absolute value function represented in an equation?

The absolute value function is represented by the equation y = |x|, where y represents the output or result of the function and x represents the input or value being evaluated.

What is the graph of the absolute value function?

The graph of the absolute value function is a V-shaped graph, also known as a "V-curve". The vertex of the graph is located at (0,0) and the graph extends infinitely in both the positive and negative directions along the x-axis.

How do you explain the concept of "absolute value" to someone who is unfamiliar with it?

The absolute value of a number can be thought of as its distance from 0 on a number line. It is always a positive value, regardless of whether the original number is positive or negative.

What are some real-life applications of the absolute value function?

The absolute value function is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent distance, speed, and acceleration. It is also used in economics to represent differences between forecasted and actual values. In everyday life, it can be used to calculate the absolute difference between two numbers, such as measuring how much a stock price has changed.