What is the area of the right-angled triangle with hypotenuse 10 and altitude 6?

In summary, the conversation is about a right-angled triangle where the hypotenuse is 10 and the altitude is 6. The question is asked about the area of this triangle, with options of 60, 30, 24, and 16. The conversation includes various interpretations and solutions for the problem, including a "tricky" question from V. Arnold. Ultimately, it is determined that the correct answer is 24.

What is the area of the triangle?

• Total voters
Boris Leykin
In a right-angled triangle hypotenuse equals 10, altitude equals 6. What is the area of the triangle?
Answers: 60, 30, 24, 16

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, it really looks like a homework problem. >"<

VietDao29 said:
Well, it really looks like a homework problem. >"<

Of course not, it is a standart test.:biggrin:

Why not 30, tell me?
Area of a triangle equals half product of altitude by base side

Last edited:
Boris Leykin said:
Of course not, it is a standart test.:biggrin:

Why not 30, tell me?
Area of a triangle equals half product of altitude by base side

So, what is the base?

My approach may be based on a misunderstanding, so check your textbook;
but, if "altitutude" means the distance from the vertex of the right-angle to the closest point on the hypotenuse, then area would be half of base times altitude, or one half of 10 x 6, which would be 30.
As I said, I may have mishandled some of the terminology in interpreting the exercise, so check your textbook about this topic.

symbolipoint said:
My approach may be based on a misunderstanding, so check your textbook;
but, if "altitutude" means the distance from the vertex of the right-angle to the closest point on the hypotenuse, then area would be half of base times altitude, or one half of 10 x 6, which would be 30.
As I said, I may have mishandled some of the terminology in interpreting the exercise, so check your textbook about this topic.

Aaaaahhhhaaa! Got you.:rofl:
You are wrong, such a triangle with hypotenuse 10 and altitude to hypotenuse 6 does not exist. 24 is the correct answer. This is another http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/category/2007/06/more_mysteries_of_the_number_2.html" Oooohhhh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boris Leykin said:
Aaaaahhhhaaa! Got you.:rofl:
You are wrong, such a triangle with hypotenuse 10 and altitude to hypotenuse 6 does not exist. 24 is the correct answer. This is another http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/category/2007/06/more_mysteries_of_the_number_2.html" Oooohhhh.

I fail to see why this is amusing. It's only "tricky" because of ambiguous wording--if you interpret it such that one of the legs has length 6, then you'll get the answer 24 (which it seems everyone on the poll chose except you). If you interpret it as symbolipoint did, then you fall prey to a flawed premise from a trusted source. Is symbolipoint at fault because you (apparently intentionally) deceived him? Very unsporting of you, really. :wink:

JohnDuck said:
I fail to see why this is amusing. It's only "tricky" because of ambiguous wording--if you interpret it such that one of the legs has length 6, then you'll get the answer 24 (which it seems everyone on the poll chose except you). If you interpret it as symbolipoint did, then you fall prey to a flawed premise from a trusted source. Is symbolipoint at fault because you (apparently intentionally) deceived him? Very unsporting of you, really. :wink:

Sorry, this was stupid idea, not amusing.:redface:

It is from V.Arnold http://ilib.mccme.ru/pdf/VIA-taskbook.htm"

6. In a right-angled triangle (in american standart exam) hypotenuse equals 10, altitude to hypotenuse equals 6. What is the area of the triangle?
For 10 years american schoolchildren successfully solved this problem, but then from Moscow russians came, no one could solve it like americans did (who gave the answer 30). Why?

Boris Leykin said:
6. In a right-angled triangle (in american standart exam) hypotenuse equals 10, altitude to hypotenuse equals 6. What is the area of the triangle?
That's not the question you initially asked.

Boris Leykin said:
For 10 years american schoolchildren successfully solved this problem, but then from Moscow russians came, no one could solve it like americans did (who gave the answer 30). Why?
Without knowing the particulars of Russian syntax, I honestly couldn't say. However I would note that it is not stated from which part of america the students were from.

This whole question would be better asked, and be of more benefit to everyone who attempted it, if it was posed in the form of a diagram (see attachment). The question would go; In the diagram shown, the blue line has length 10, the red line has length 6. What is the area of the triangle.

Geometry becomes more "readable" when you substitute colours for words. Frankly, words whould be avoided where possible, as they can only lead to pitfalls as displayed in the Arnold question. There's a very interesting edition of euclids elements available online. It's a pity modern publishers keep churning out the same old mess with long winding paragraphs full of "the point A" "the line CD", the triangle "AFH" , etc ,etc ad nauseum. Colour really helps clarify things.

Attachments

• triangle.png
    triangle.png
    1 KB · Views: 242
Boris, your proposed solution with area 30 does not exist.

Draw the circumscribing circle of the triangle.
The hypotenuse of the triangle = the diameter of the circle = 10.
The maximum altitude (measured perpendicular to the hypotenuse) is the radius of the circle = 5.
Your "altitude = 6" is impossible.
The maximum possible area for a right triangle with hypotenuse 10 is 10*5/2 = 25.

I read the original question as meaning the altitude (vertical side) = 6, the hypotenuse (sloping) = 10,
By Pythagoras theorem the base (horizontal side) = 8.
Area = 6*8/2 = 24.

Attachments

• impossible triangle.gif
    impossible triangle.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 567

1. What is elementary geometry?

Elementary geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of shapes, sizes, and positions of objects in space. It is the foundation of more advanced forms of geometry and is typically taught in early education.

2. What are the basic concepts in elementary geometry?

The basic concepts in elementary geometry include points, lines, angles, shapes, and their properties. These concepts are used to solve problems and prove theorems in geometry.

3. How do I approach solving an elementary geometry problem?

The first step in solving an elementary geometry problem is to carefully read and understand the problem. Then, use the given information to draw a diagram and label all relevant points, lines, and angles. Finally, apply the appropriate geometric principles and theorems to find the solution.

4. What are some common types of elementary geometry problems?

Some common types of elementary geometry problems include finding the perimeter and area of shapes, identifying congruent and similar figures, and solving for missing angles in geometric figures.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving elementary geometry problems?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving elementary geometry problems. You can also review the basic concepts and theorems, and work on challenging problems to further enhance your understanding. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.