1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elementary Laplace

1. Oct 21, 2008 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    L[f] = (s)^(1/2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Is there actually an elementary laplace transform that can compute this? I tried using derivative to solve for it, but i'll always be stuck with a fractional exponent.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2008 #2
    The best thing I could think of is using the convolution rule, i.e. (F(s)G(s) = f(t)*g(t)) where * is convolution. Let F(s)=G(s)=s^(1/2), then F(s)G(s) = s. Can you do the laplace transform of s?
  4. Oct 22, 2008 #3
    Oh, our class hasn't got to that section yet. Maybe I'll be able to solve it tomorrow then. Thanks.
  5. Oct 22, 2008 #4
    I think i might have just thought of something. Would it work if i first took the derivative. Then used the gamma function to compute the inverse laplace transform?
  6. Oct 22, 2008 #5
    The gamma function isn't in a form that is immediately obvious to me to see how it relates to what you have to evaluate.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?