Elementary Linear Algebra book

In summary: I appreciate your input.In summary, the most logical thing to do is google "linear algebra for engineers pdf" and find e.g. this or this.
user10921
Hello I am looking for an introductory linear algebra book. I attend university next year so I want to prepare and I want to become an engineer. I have a good background in the prerequisites, except I don't know anything about matrices or determinants. I am looking for the more application side, cause engineer.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes user10921, berkeman, etotheipi and 1 other person
Elementary Linear Algebra by Anton.

Likes user10921 and jasonRF
Schaum's Outline of Linear Algebra
(Part of the https://www.thriftbooks.com/series/schaums-outline/71382/)
by https://www.thriftbooks.com/a/seymour-lipschutz/246729/ and https://www.thriftbooks.com/a/marc-lipson/246730/

Likes user10921 and jasonRF
I found that my freshman engineering curriculum assumed I already knew elementary matrix algebra and determinants (high-school level), so I think the OP is wise to try and learn the basic material before starting. Learning from a high-school book is probably sufficient, but an elementary linear algebra book should be a reasonable resource and will also have a lot of extra material that will eventually be needed.

I really like Anton's Elementary Linear Algebra recommended by Mondayman. Used copies of old editions are cheap, for example
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010WIWLI8/?tag=pfamazon01-20
which has a section at the end on applications. The basic material on systems of equations and determinants is clearly presented in the first 100 pages, but it also includes nice introductions to abstract vector spaces, linear transformations and inner-product spaces if the OP has time and motivation to learn them. Other basic linear algebra books are probably fine, too, but I know Anton is good and gets to the basic material early-on.

BvU said:
But there is a lot to be said to drop the engineer and look at linear algebra done right (was free download for a while) or at linear algebra done wrong :smile:
I have spent many hours working through Linear Algebra Done Right, and while it is a great book I believe it is a poor choice for a pre-college student (perhaps still in high school?) who doesn't know anything about matrices or determinants to learn the subject all on their own. At least in the US, it is usually used as a text for a second course on the subject. And for good reason - even with a professor's help it is too difficult for most students to learn the material from the first time. I worked through it after taking a course that was a the level of Anton and found it to be a healthy challenge.

Linear Algebra Done Wrong looks more suitable. It at least it is written as a true first introduction to the subject, but it is certainly more difficult than something like Anton. After all, it is written for an honors-level introductory course at Brown. If the OP is particularly interested and/or gifted in rigorous math then it may be a good choice. Otherwise, I would recommend something easier for self-learning the material for the first time.

jason

• Informative
Likes atyy, mpresic3, vanhees71 and 3 others
Thank you all!

Likes berkeman

1. What is the purpose of an Elementary Linear Algebra book?

An Elementary Linear Algebra book is designed to introduce students to the fundamental concepts and techniques of linear algebra. It covers topics such as systems of linear equations, matrices, vector spaces, and linear transformations. The goal of this book is to provide a strong foundation for further study in mathematics, engineering, and other fields.

2. Is an Elementary Linear Algebra book suitable for beginners?

Yes, an Elementary Linear Algebra book is typically designed for students who have little to no prior experience with linear algebra. It starts with the basics and gradually builds upon them, making it accessible for beginners. However, some familiarity with algebra and basic mathematical concepts is helpful.

3. What makes a good Elementary Linear Algebra book?

A good Elementary Linear Algebra book should have clear and concise explanations, plenty of examples and practice problems, and a variety of real-world applications. It should also have a good balance between theory and computation, as well as a logical and organized structure.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in math to understand an Elementary Linear Algebra book?

While some familiarity with algebra and basic mathematical concepts is helpful, an Elementary Linear Algebra book is designed to be accessible for students with varying levels of math background. As long as you are willing to put in the effort and practice, you should be able to understand and apply the concepts in the book.

5. How can I use an Elementary Linear Algebra book in my studies?

An Elementary Linear Algebra book can be used as a textbook for a course, as a self-study guide, or as a reference for those who need to review or refresh their knowledge of linear algebra. It is also a valuable resource for students in other fields such as physics, computer science, and economics, as linear algebra has many practical applications in these areas.