Elementary Linear Algebra book

Hello I am looking for an introductory linear algebra book. I attend university next year so I want to prepare and I want to become an engineer. I have a good background in the prerequisites, except I don't know anything about matrices or determinants. I am looking for the more application side, cause engineer.

Thanks in advance

Answers and Replies

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Likes user10921, berkeman, etotheipi and 1 other person
Elementary Linear Algebra by Anton.

Likes user10921 and jasonRF
jasonRF
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I found that my freshman engineering curriculum assumed I already knew elementary matrix algebra and determinants (high-school level), so I think the OP is wise to try and learn the basic material before starting. Learning from a high-school book is probably sufficient, but an elementary linear algebra book should be a reasonable resource and will also have a lot of extra material that will eventually be needed.

I really like Anton's Elementary Linear Algebra recommended by Mondayman. Used copies of old editions are cheap, for example
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010WIWLI8/?tag=pfamazon01-20
which has a section at the end on applications. The basic material on systems of equations and determinants is clearly presented in the first 100 pages, but it also includes nice introductions to abstract vector spaces, linear transformations and inner-product spaces if the OP has time and motivation to learn them. Other basic linear algebra books are probably fine, too, but I know Anton is good and gets to the basic material early-on.

But there is a lot to be said to drop the engineer and look at linear algebra done right (was free download for a while) or at linear algebra done wrong :smile:
I have spent many hours working through Linear Algebra Done Right, and while it is a great book I believe it is a poor choice for a pre-college student (perhaps still in highschool?) who doesn't know anything about matrices or determinants to learn the subject all on their own. At least in the US, it is usually used as a text for a second course on the subject. And for good reason - even with a professor's help it is too difficult for most students to learn the material from the first time. I worked through it after taking a course that was a the level of Anton and found it to be a healthy challenge.

Linear Algebra Done Wrong looks more suitable. It at least it is written as a true first introduction to the subject, but it is certainly more difficult than something like Anton. After all, it is written for an honors-level introductory course at Brown. If the OP is particularly interested and/or gifted in rigorous math then it may be a good choice. Otherwise, I would recommend something easier for self-learning the material for the first time.

jason

• Informative
Likes atyy, mpresic3, vanhees71 and 3 others
Thank you all!