1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elementary Math

1. Aug 7, 2010 #1
    I just started reading the introductory section of Spivak's calculus, and it has an introduction about the main mathematical properties; dristributive, associative etc. also how basic operations such as multiplication arises naturally from addition and division from multiplication.

What caught my attention was a proof about 1 being greater than 0. due to the fact that
    n square has to be greater than 0. and since 1 square = 1, then 1 is greater than 0.

Right now im reading Spivak and Apostol's introduction to basic math but I was wondering if there are books that deal with this kind of elementary proofs, can someone recommend me some?

I dont mean books about logic but about elementary math like the above mentioned. Im having a hard time finding any book about this subject.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2010 #2
    How to Read and Do Proofs by D. Solow

of course this is at a much more elementary level than Spivak.

4. Aug 7, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Another is The Nuts and Bolts of Proofs, by Antonella Cupillari.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook