What are some recommended books for elementary math proofs?

• Thread starter Jimmy84
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elementary
In summary, the conversation discusses the introductory section of Spivak's calculus and its focus on basic mathematical properties such as distributive and associative, as well as the natural emergence of basic operations. The conversation also mentions a proof about 1 being greater than 0 based on the fact that the square of any number must be greater than 0. The conversation then shifts to a recommendation for books that deal with elementary proofs, with the suggestion of "How to Read and Do Proofs" by D. Solow and "The Nuts and Bolts of Proofs" by Antonella Cupillari.
Jimmy84
I just started reading the introductory section of Spivak's calculus, and it has an introduction about the main mathematical properties; dristributive, associative etc. also how basic operations such as multiplication arises naturally from addition and division from multiplication.

What caught my attention was a proof about 1 being greater than 0. due to the fact that
n square has to be greater than 0. and since 1 square = 1, then 1 is greater than 0.

Right now I am reading Spivak and Apostol's introduction to basic math but I was wondering if there are books that deal with this kind of elementary proofs, can someone recommend me some?

I don't mean books about logic but about elementary math like the above mentioned. I am having a hard time finding any book about this subject.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
How to Read and Do Proofs by D. Solow

of course this is at a much more elementary level than Spivak.

Another is The Nuts and Bolts of Proofs, by Antonella Cupillari.

1. What is Elementary Math?

Elementary Math, also known as primary school math or basic math, is the branch of mathematics that includes the fundamental concepts and operations of numbers, quantities, and shapes. It is typically taught in the early years of elementary school to build a strong foundation for more complex math concepts in later years.

2. What topics are covered in Elementary Math?

Elementary Math covers a wide range of topics, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, decimals, geometry, measurement, and basic algebra. It also includes problem-solving skills and critical thinking to apply these concepts in real-life situations.

3. How can I help my child improve in Elementary Math?

There are many ways to help your child improve in Elementary Math. You can practice basic math facts with flashcards or online games, use manipulatives to make math more tangible, and provide real-life examples of math concepts. It's also important to encourage your child and make math fun and engaging.

4. Why is Elementary Math important?

Elementary Math is essential because it provides the foundation for higher-level math concepts. It also develops critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are crucial for success in other subjects and in everyday life. A strong understanding of Elementary Math can also lead to future success in more advanced math courses and career opportunities.

5. How can I make learning Elementary Math more fun?

There are many ways to make learning Elementary Math more enjoyable for children. You can use games, songs, and hands-on activities to make math more engaging and interactive. You can also incorporate real-life examples and challenges to show the practical applications of math. Lastly, don't forget to provide positive reinforcement and celebrate small achievements to make learning fun and rewarding for your child.