Elementary Matrices: Solving Homework Problem

In summary, an elementary matrix is the result of applying a single row operation to the identity matrix.
roam

Homework Statement

Here's the problem I don't understand and its solution:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/5867/24545624.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to write the original matrix as a product of elementary matrices but I don't know they got that set of 4 elementary matrices. Can anyone help me to see how to get those elementary matrices?
I can row reduce the original matrix to rref but I don't see how that helps. (Actually the matrix when in reduced row echelon form is the identity, indicating that it is invertible.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Each time you perform row reduction, record that step. Then find the particular elementary matrix associated with that row reduction. Remember that the elementary matrix corresponding to a particular step is simply the row operation in question applied to the identity matrix.

The representation of a matrix as a product of elementary matrices isn't unique -- there are lots of correct answers, including the one you produced when you put your matrix into reduced row echelon form. (Assuming you actually kept track of what row operations you used, did all the arithmetic correctly, and converted that into elementary row operations correctly)

That said, the answer you showed us is wrong; the third term in the product on the right hand side isn't elementary!

P.S. if the rref wasn't the identity, then that matrix cannot possibly be the product of elementary row matrices. (Do you understand why?)

Hurkyl said:
The representation of a matrix as a product of elementary matrices isn't unique -- there are lots of correct answers, including the one you produced when you put your matrix into reduced row echelon form. (Assuming you actually kept track of what row operations you used, did all the arithmetic correctly, and converted that into elementary row operations correctly)

For example one row operation would be to add -2 times the first row to the second. We get the matrix:

What will be say, E1, the elementary matrix corresponding to this particular step?

That said, the answer you showed us is wrong; the third term in the product on the right hand side isn't elementary!

Really? Is it because there has to be a 1 instead of 3 in the main diagonal?

P.S. if the rref wasn't the identity, then that matrix cannot possibly be the product of elementary row matrices. (Do you understand why?)

A matrix is invertible if it can be written as a product of elementary matrices. Since the reduced row echelon form of A is assumed to be In then there is a sequence of elementary row operations that reduces A to identity. Each of these operations is done with multipication by an elementary matrix. So there is a sequence of elementary operations E1, E2, ...,Ek such that: Ek...E2E1 = I

roam said:
For example one row operation would be to add -2 times the first row to the second. We get the matrix:

What will be say, E1, the elementary matrix corresponding to this particular step?
The elementary matrix would simply be

Because that is what you get you perform this row operation on the identity matrix.

Really? Is it because there has to be a 1 instead of 3 in the main diagonal?
No, an elementary matrix is the result of applying a single row operation to the identity matrix. You can't get that matrix by using only 1 row operation.

A matrix is invertible if it can be written as a product of elementary matrices. Since the reduced row echelon form of A is assumed to be In then there is a sequence of elementary row operations that reduces A to identity. Each of these operations is done with multipication by an elementary matrix. So there is a sequence of elementary operations E1, E2, ...,Ek such that: Ek...E2E1 = I
Almost correct. The last sentence should read: Ek...E2E1A=I.

Ok, thank you, I understand!

It looks different from the matrices in the answer (there's a -2 instead of 2) but since the presentation of a matrix as a product of elementary matrices isn't unique then there shouldn't be a problem. :tongue:

Last edited:

1. What are elementary matrices and how are they used to solve homework problems?

Elementary matrices are square matrices with specific properties that make them useful for solving systems of linear equations. They are used by multiplying them with the original coefficient matrix to transform it into a simpler form, making it easier to solve for the variables.

2. What are the different types of elementary matrices?

There are three types of elementary matrices: row-switching matrices, row-scaling matrices, and row-replacement matrices. Row-switching matrices swap the positions of two rows in a matrix, row-scaling matrices multiply a row by a non-zero constant, and row-replacement matrices add a multiple of one row to another row.

3. How do I use elementary matrices to solve a system of equations?

To use elementary matrices to solve a system of equations, you must first write the system in matrix form. Then, you can use elementary matrices to perform row operations on the coefficient matrix until it is in reduced row-echelon form. The resulting matrix will give you the solutions to the system of equations.

4. Can elementary matrices be used to solve systems of equations with more than two variables?

Yes, elementary matrices can be used to solve systems of equations with any number of variables. The process is the same as with systems of two equations, but the resulting matrix will have more columns and the solutions will correspond to the additional variables.

5. Are there any limitations to using elementary matrices to solve homework problems?

While elementary matrices are useful for solving many types of systems of equations, they may not be the most efficient method for more complex problems. In some cases, other methods such as Gaussian elimination or Cramer's rule may be more appropriate. It is important to understand the strengths and limitations of different methods and choose the most appropriate one for each problem.