Determining the Mass of the Pi^- Particle Using the Elementary Charge

In summary: The electron mass is about 10^-31kg, so the pion is about a thousand times heavier than the electron.So we can say that the pion has a greater mass than the electron (because 1.86x10^-28kg is greater than 1.6x10^-31kg).In summary, the charge-to-mass ratio of the pi^- particle was determined to be 8.6x10^8C/kg. Using this value, the mass of the pi^- particle was calculated to be approximately 1.86x10^-28kg. This is about a thousand times greater than the mass of an electron, indicating that the pi^- particle has a greater mass.
rojasharma
Elementary particle(ANYONE PLZ HELP ME WITH THIS Q)

The charge-to mass ratio of the pi^- particle was determined. The charge-to-mas ratio of the electron is 1.76x10^11C/kg. a) predict which particle has a greater mass-the electron, or the particle. b) use the value of the elmentary charge to calculate the mass of the pi^- particle in kg. Compare the mass of the particle to the mass of the electron.
for a) i think charge has greater mass... b) i think i have to use q/m=c/r...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
More detail, please …

Hi rojasharma!

You started an identical thread yesterday:

(a) If no-one replies, you can always "bump" the thread up to the top of the list by adding a second post yourself - something like "Anybody? Please help!"

A lot of people do that, and it saves duplication of threads.

(b) I didn't reply to the original thread because there wasn't enough information in it (I suspect the other 25 people who saw it felt the same).

In particular, I have no idea what the electron has to do with the π-.

Can you provide more detail? :smile:

well...this is it...this is what the exact question is in the book. What i was thinking was q/m is the ratio which is 1.76x10^C/kg, i can use this to find m by pluging into q/m=the ratio, therefore q/ratio = m...but i m confused...is this m what the part b wants?

Sorry, rojasharma, I still don't understand what the electron has to do with the π-. :confused:

is this question a sequel to some other question?

The charge to-mass ratio of the pi^- particle was determined in the example above.The charge-to mass ratio of the pi^- particle was determined. The charge-to-mas ratio of the electron is 1.76x10^11C/kg. a) predict which particle has a greater mass-the electron, or the particle. b) use the value of the elmentary charge to calculate the mass of the pi^- particle in kg. Compare the mass of the particle to the mass of the electron.
this is the exact question...and above this question there is no example given however...in the lesson there is an example that gives the charge-to mass ratio of the pi^- particle...i am not sure if i am supposed to use that value? should i post the charge-to mass ratio for pi^- from the example in the lesson?

rojasharma said:
in the lesson there is an example that gives the charge-to mass ratio of the pi^- particle...i am not sure if i am supposed to use that value? should i post the charge-to mass ratio for pi^- from the example in the lesson?

Yes, I think that must be what is intended. :smile:

(btw, if you type alt-p and -, it prints π- for you!)

the charge-to-mass ratio for alt-p- is 8.6x10*C/kg

so for b...q/m=ratio of pi-, do i sud in 1.6x10^-19 for q??...so 1.6x10^-19/8.6x10^8C/kg which gives me m=1.86x10^-28kg...doesn;t seem right to me:(...HELP!

Can someone tell me if the answer above is correct...please...

… looks ok to me …

rojasharma said:
so for b...q/m=ratio of pi-, do i sud in 1.6x10^-19 for q??...so 1.6x10^-19/8.6x10^8C/kg which gives me m=1.86x10^-28kg...doesn;t seem right to me:(...HELP!

Hi rojasharma! :smile:

Let's see …

charge = charge/mass x mass;

so mass = charge/(charge/mass)

= 1.6x10^-19 / 8.6x10^8C/kg

= 1.86x10^-28kg.

Looks ok to me - the mass of the pion is about 10^-28kg. :smile:

1. What is an elementary particle charge?

An elementary particle charge is a fundamental property of particles that determines how they interact with each other and with electromagnetic fields. It is a measure of the strength of the attractive or repulsive force between particles.

2. How is the charge of an elementary particle measured?

The charge of an elementary particle is measured using a unit called the elementary charge, denoted as e. This charge is determined by measuring the force between the particle and an electric field. The charge of an electron, for example, is -1e, while the charge of a proton is +1e.

3. Can the charge of an elementary particle change?

In most cases, the charge of an elementary particle is considered to be a constant property. However, there are some rare instances where particles can change their charge, such as when protons or neutrons decay into other particles.

4. How do particles with opposite charges interact?

Particles with opposite charges, such as an electron and a proton, will attract each other due to the electromagnetic force. This attraction is what holds atoms together and allows for the formation of molecules.

5. Are there any particles with no charge?

Yes, there are particles with no charge, such as a neutrino. These particles are electrically neutral and do not interact with electromagnetic fields. However, they can still interact with other particles through other fundamental forces, such as the weak nuclear force.