Elementary particle problems

In summary, the fundamental interactions through which the following processes occur are: 1- is possible due to weak decay, 2- is possible due to baryon number conservation, 3- is not possible as lepton number is not conserved, and 4- is possible due to pair production and if energy of gamma rays is greater than 1.02 MeV.
sudipmaity

Homework Statement

Indicate the fundamental interactions through which the following processes occur.Justify.
n -> p+ e- + -νe...1
p+p -> p+p+n+-n...2
π+ -> μ++ -νμ...3
γ -> e+ + e-...4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1... is possible due to weak decay .electron antineutrino production.
2... is possible due to baryon no. conservation.
3... is not possible as lepton no. is not conserved.
4...is possible due to pair production and if energy of gamma rays is greater than 1.02MeV.It has been expermentally proven.
Are my deductions correct?? I am a particle, nuclear physics beginner.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that -ve means ##\bar\nu_e## etc. The first three are fine as long as the protons in (2) have enough CoM energy to create the neutron-antineutron pair.

For (4), it is not possible unless you can transfer momentum from an external field, such as that of a nearby nucleus. As it stands, you cannot conserve energy and momentum at the same time.

sudipmaity said:
1... is possible due to weak decay .electron antineutrino production.
2... is possible due to baryon no. conservation.
3... is not possible as lepton no. is not conserved.
4...is possible due to pair production and if energy of gamma rays is greater than 1.02MeV.It has been expermentally proven.
Are my deductions correct?? I am a particle, nuclear physics beginner.[/B]
You don't seem to be answering the question, which is to identify which interaction is responsible for each process.

For #2, I wouldn't say conservation of baryon number makes it possible. Conservation laws are generally used to rule out potential processes.

For #3, you need to recognize that the antineutrino has a lepton number of -1 because it's antimatter.

For #4, you need a second photon to be able to conserve momentum and energy. This second photon could be a virtual photon associated with the external field Orodruin mentions.

Likes sudipmaity
Thank you vela.Is my answer to to #1 correct??

You tell me. Why do you think it's mediated by the weak interaction?

1. What are elementary particles?

Elementary particles are the smallest known units of matter that make up the universe. They are the building blocks of all matter and cannot be broken down into smaller units.

2. How many types of elementary particles are there?

There are currently 17 known elementary particles, which can be further classified into two groups: fermions and bosons.

3. What are the properties of elementary particles?

Elementary particles have properties such as mass, charge, and spin. These properties determine how they interact with each other and make up the fundamental forces of nature.

4. How are elementary particles studied?

Elementary particles are studied using high-energy particle accelerators, where they are smashed together at incredibly high speeds to reveal their properties and interactions. Scientists also use theoretical models and mathematical equations to understand and predict the behavior of elementary particles.

5. Why are elementary particles important?

Elementary particles play a crucial role in our understanding of the universe and its origins. They also have practical applications in fields such as medicine, technology, and energy production. Studying elementary particles can help us unravel the mysteries of the universe and advance our knowledge and technology.