Atom H-2 Diagram: Label Quarks & Leptons

In summary, the conversation discusses how to sketch a diagram of the atom H-2, which consists of one proton and one neutron in the nucleus and one electron in orbit. The diagram should show the appropriate quarks and leptons, with protons having three quarks each (two up and one down) and neutrons having three quarks (one up and two down). The electron is a lepton and does not consist of any quarks. The conversation also clarifies that the correct element is Helium-3, not Helium-2, which has a very short half-life.
rojasharma
Sketch a diagram of the atom H-2, using the appropriate quarks and leptons. Label the particles in your diagram. I don;t knoq how to do this because my book does not have any example of this...:(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
OK, protons and neutrons have three quarks each, up, up, down for the proton and down, down, up for the neutron. Up quarks have charge +2/3 and down quarks have charge -1/3.

H-2 has a proton and a neutron in the nucleus, and one electron in it's first shell, so you just need to represent the six quarks in the nucleus and the one electron in orbit.

Last edited:
sorry its He-2...even though i don;t have any idea how to do this...i am guessing...u and d are the quarks...(3 on top and 2 on the bottom of He). so there are 2 protons and 1 neutron...each proton will have 2 u and 1 d , neutron will have 1 u and 2 d. and lepton is electron which is 2 ...

Helium-2 will have two protons and no neutrons then, and as I said, a proton has two up quarks and 1 down quark, also referred to as u and d yes.

The electron is a lepton yes, but does ont consist of any quarks, it is an elementary particle.

Edit: are you sure the question asks for Helium-2 though? He-2 has a very very short half life, only 3*10^-27 seconds.

yes its written as 3 on top and 2 at the bottom of He...so this makes it He-2 right?

No, that makes it He-3. The number of nucleons is 3, the atomic number is 2 (which is true for all isotopes of Helium). Helium-3 consists of two protons and one neutron, plus two electrons in orbit since it is an electrically neutral atom (as opposed to an ion).

:)thanks

Happy to help.

1. What is the structure of an atom H-2?

The atom H-2, also known as deuterium, consists of one proton and one neutron in its nucleus, and one electron orbiting around the nucleus.

2. What are quarks and leptons?

Quarks and leptons are subatomic particles that make up the structure of atoms. Quarks are the building blocks of protons and neutrons, while leptons include electrons and other particles that do not interact with the strong nuclear force.

3. How many quarks and leptons are present in an atom H-2?

An atom H-2 contains two quarks (one up quark and one down quark) and two leptons (one electron and one electron neutrino).

4. How are quarks and leptons labeled in an atom H-2 diagram?

In an atom H-2 diagram, quarks are labeled as "u" for up quarks and "d" for down quarks, while leptons are labeled as "e" for electrons and "νe" for electron neutrinos.

5. What is the significance of labeling quarks and leptons in an atom H-2 diagram?

Labeling quarks and leptons in an atom H-2 diagram helps to visually represent the structure of the atom and understand the interactions between these subatomic particles in the nucleus. It also helps to distinguish between different types of quarks and leptons in the atom.