1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elementary quantum gates

1. Feb 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am actually trying to reproduce the research paper on "Elementary gates for Quantum computation". With reference to that paper, According to Corollary 7.4 - On an n-bit network(where n>=7), a lambda(n-2)[sigma x] gate can be simulated by 8(n-5) lambda(2)[sigma x] gates(3 bit Toffoli gates), as well as by 48n - 204 basic operations. I am able to solve the first part of the corollary. In the 2nd part they say that out of the (8n-40) Toffoli gates, 4 gates can be simulated by 16 basic operations and the remaining (8n-36) gates can be simulated by 6 basic operations. But (4 + (8n-36)) when added does not give 8n-40. That is one part of my doubt. Another thing is that, what do they mean by basic operations? I have attached that research paper.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?