Elementary Questions on Quantum Physics for 15-18 Year Olds

• Thread starter PipBoy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elementary
In summary: The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with equal precision.
PipBoy
Hi, I'm currently writting an article for people my age (15-18) about Quantum Physics, it's complexity, it's vast uncertainty and it's applications. However, being only young and just halfway through John Gribbin's 'In Search of Schrodinger's Cat', there are several points I would like to raise, but am unnable to explain. I am aware that this may belong in a homeowrk help thread, but I thought I would find the most passionnate and most qualified here. Simple answers please, this is only a simple article! Thanks in advance, PipBoy

Q: In what way does a particle exhibit both wave like and particle like behaviour? What makes it like a wave, what makes it like a particle?
Q: Does Quantum Theory agree with Relativity, and what is the definition of Relativity Theory?

These as a start, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the second question:
As far as I can tell, quantum mechanics has been successfully combined with special relativity the result being quantum electrodynamics. However, there is to date no widely accepted theory of quantum gravity, which combines quantum mechanics with general relativity, Einstein theory of gravitation. I reccomend you do a quick wikipedia search on these theories to read more.

Thank you, that's resolved nicely ^^

For the first question, watching this youtube video may help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc

On the observer part, you can't take "observer" too literlly. Observer just means a measuring device, whether intelligence is involved or not. It involves interacting the particles being observered, not just passively watching them pass by. Interaction free measurements exist, but probably get deeper than what you need to go.

Here is a video demonstration of the Uncertainty Principle at work, showing actual effects in that case:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT7xJ0tjB4A

espen180 said:
As far as I can tell, quantum mechanics has been successfully combined with special relativity the result being quantum electrodynamics.

Well, I'd count relativistic quantum mechanics as the Klein-Gordon and Dirac equations, whereas QED is really quantum mechanics applied to the electromagnetic field.
There does exist non-relativistic QED, as well as relativistic QM without using a quantized field.

So in atomic/molecular physics we tend to distinguish between 'relativistic effects' (such as relativistic momentum corrections, spin-orbit coupling, and Breit-Pauli interactions) and 'QED effects' (such as the Lamb shift).

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level. It explains how particles behave and interact with each other on the atomic and subatomic scale.

2. Why is quantum physics important?

Quantum physics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature that govern the behavior of matter and energy. It has also led to the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computers.

3. What are the basic principles of quantum physics?

The basic principles of quantum physics include wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, superposition, and entanglement. These principles explain the strange and non-intuitive behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. How does quantum physics relate to everyday life?

Quantum physics may seem like a complex and abstract theory, but it actually has many practical applications in our daily lives. For example, the technology behind MRI machines and LED lights is based on principles of quantum physics.

5. Can we see quantum physics in action?

Yes, we can see quantum physics in action through experiments and technological devices. For example, the double-slit experiment demonstrates the wave-particle duality of particles, and quantum computers are being developed that utilize the principles of superposition and entanglement.