1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elementary Set Theory Proof

1. Sep 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that if P(A) [itex]\subseteq[/itex] P(B) then A [itex]\subseteq[/itex] B,
    where A and B are two sets and P symbolizes the power set (set of all subsets) of a particular set.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay, so here goes.

Because it's a conditional, we suppose P(A)[itex]\subseteq[/itex] P(B), and make it a "given."

From there, we look at the goal ( A[itex]\in[/itex] B ), and let x be arbitrary such that x [itex]\in[/itex] A [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] x [itex]\in[/itex] B. Because x is arbitrary, we suppose x [itex]\in[/itex] A.

So far, we have:

Givens:
    P(A) is a subset of P(B), or [itex]\forall[/itex]y( y [itex]\in[/itex] P(A) [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] y [itex]\in[/itex] P(B)
    x [itex]\in[/itex] A

Goals:
    x [itex]\in[/itex] B

So this is where it falls apart. Looking at the given above, I see the opportunity for universal instantiation. However, in order to do that I need to know some variable that y [itex]\in[/itex] P(A), or that y [itex]\subseteq[/itex] A. I see neither. Can you help me?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If x is an element of A then the set {x} is in P(A). Does that help?

4. Sep 7, 2011 #3
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook