Introducing Set Theory: Proving Real #s Identical in Bases

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of set theory, specifically regarding the bijection between natural and rational numbers. The question is raised about whether equivalent fractions should be skipped in this correspondence. It is mentioned that for proving there are not more rational numbers than natural numbers, it does not matter if the correspondence is injective or surjective. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of proving that the set of real numbers in base ten is identical to the set of real numbers in another base, due to the fact that numbers themselves are independent of their base.
Blackberg
I'm introducing myself to set theory. My reference doesn't seem to address the fact that 1/1 = 2/2 = 1. If we make a correspondence between natural numbers and rational numbers using sequential fractions, should we just skip equivalent fractions so as to make it a bijection? In other words, does it matter whether the correspondance is injective or not, or whether it is surjective or not?

I'm also wondering how one would prove that the set of real numbers in base ten is identical to the set of real numbers in another base.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to make a bijection it is important. If you just want to show there are not more rational than natural numbers, it does not matter.
The reverse statement (there are not more natural than rational numbers) is trivial anyway.

Blackberg said:
I'm also wondering how one would prove that the set of real numbers in base ten is identical to the set of real numbers in another base.
Numbers do not have a base. You can express a real number in a specific base to write it down, but the number itself is independent of it.

If you are looking for a simple, clean proof, I don't think there is one. It could be done, but it might be a lot of work. You can define the mapping between the real numbers and their representation in any base. Composing the mappings should give you a mapping between the two representations. There might be a lot of tedious complications with infinite length representations like 1 = 0.9999999...are two base 10 representations of 1. Irrational numbers are another complication.

1. What is Set Theory?

Set Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It provides a formal framework for understanding how elements of a set relate to each other and how they can be manipulated using logical operations.

2. How does Set Theory relate to proving real numbers identical in bases?

Set Theory is used in the proof of the identity of real numbers in different bases by providing a formal language and tools for understanding the concept of real numbers and their representation in different number systems. It allows us to define and manipulate sets of numbers, which are essential in proving the identity of real numbers in different bases.

3. Why is it important to prove the identity of real numbers in different bases?

Proving the identity of real numbers in different bases is important because it allows us to understand the relationship between number systems and how they represent the same numbers. It also helps in mathematical calculations and proofs involving real numbers in different bases.

4. What are some common techniques used in proving the identity of real numbers in different bases?

Some common techniques used in proving the identity of real numbers in different bases include using mathematical induction, manipulating equations using algebraic rules, and applying properties of logarithms and exponentials.

5. Are there any real numbers that are not identical in different bases?

No, all real numbers are identical in different bases. This is because the concept of real numbers is independent of the base used to represent them. No matter what base is used, the value of a real number remains the same.