Sir Fred Hoyle: Discovering Elements in Supernovae

In summary, during spring break, Will's dad told him about a physicist who passed away and discovered that all elements up to carbon are formed in supernovas. Will has been having trouble finding information about this man and his work, and is asking for help. The conversation also touches on the formation of elements in the universe, with fusion processes in stars leading to the formation of elements up to iron and supernova explosions creating heavier elements. A link is provided as a good source for information on this topic. It is suggested that the person Will is thinking of may be Sir Fred Hoyle.
Plastic Photon
Will on spring break earlier this year my dad informed me of a physicist who had recently passed away and who was responsible for detecting that all elements up to carbon(?) are formed in supernova. I have had a hard time searching for information on this man and his work and was wondering if any of you could help.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't know the answer to your question, but the element formation story you have seems garbled. At the big bang, elements up to Li were formed. Within stars fusion processes lead to formation of elements up to Fe. Supernova explosions result in forming all heavier elements, also those which may have been skipped in getting to Fe by fusion.

http://aether.lbl.gov/www/tour/elements/stellar/stellar_a.html" [Broken] is a decent coverage of formation of the elements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plastic Photon said:
Will on spring break earlier this year my dad informed me of a physicist who had recently passed away and who was responsible for detecting that all elements up to carbon(?) are formed in supernova. I have had a hard time searching for information on this man and his work and was wondering if any of you could help.
I think you may be thinking of Sir Fred Hoyle 1915-2001.

Garth

1. What is a supernova?

A supernova is an astronomical event that occurs when a massive star reaches the end of its life cycle and explodes, releasing an enormous amount of energy and creating a bright, expanding shell of gas and dust.

2. How are elements formed in a supernova?

During a supernova, the extreme heat and pressure cause nuclear fusion to occur, which fuses lighter elements into heavier ones. This process creates a vast range of elements, including those essential for life such as carbon, oxygen, and iron.

3. What elements are formed in a supernova?

Elements formed in a supernova include hydrogen, helium, carbon, oxygen, nitrogen, iron, and many others. Supernovas are responsible for creating over 90% of the elements found in the universe.

4. How do elements from supernovas end up on Earth?

After a supernova explosion, the elements created are dispersed into space. These elements may then become part of a new star or planetary system, including our own. The elements on Earth, including the ones in our bodies, were formed in previous supernova explosions.

5. How do scientists study elements formed in supernovas?

Scientists study elements formed in supernovas through astronomical observations, laboratory experiments, and computer simulations. They analyze the composition of stars, meteorites, and other celestial bodies to understand the processes that created these elements.