1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elements of a ring problem

1. Oct 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A) If ab+ba = 1 and a^3 = a in a ring, show that a^2 = 1

2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution
    Little confused. If we know that a^3 = a, can't we just multiply each on the right or left side by a^-1 to get a^2 = 1? Or could we only do that if the ring is said to be commutative?

edit: I realized that to show that a^2 = 1 in the way I mentioned above that a would have to be a division ring. Normal rings aren't guaranteed to have multiplicative inverses.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2014 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

I would start by multiplying the first equation by an a on the left, then do the same with an a on the right. Compare the resulting equations. Then there should only be one reasonable conclusion that satisfies ##a^3=a## as well.

4. Oct 6, 2014 #3
    So I get b + aba = a and aba + b = a, (considering a^2=1) is there something obvious that I'm missing here? The two equations are the same thing are they not?

5. Oct 6, 2014 #4

RUber

Homework Helper

## ab+ba = 1,## so left multiplying gives ## a^2 b + aba = a## and right multiplying gives ## aba+ba^2=a##. Moving ##aba## to the other side shows that ##a^2b = a-aba = ba^2##.
    Similarly, you could right/left multiply ##a^2## to show that ## a^3b+a^2ba=a^2 = aba^2 + ba^3 ##. Substituting the fact that ## a^2b=ba^2 ## should allow you to cancel out some (edit) ##a^3##s.

6. Oct 6, 2014 #5

RUber

Homework Helper

I would not assume what you are trying to show at this point.

7. Oct 6, 2014 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There aren't many many ways to use the two given equations. Let's start with ##ab+ba=1##. What can we do with this other than to insert the assumption ##a=a^3##? This gives us ##1=ab+ba=a^3b+ba^3##. How can we rewrite the right-hand side? Replacing ##a## with ##a^3## again doesn't look very promising, and replacing ##a^3## with ##a## just takes us back to where we started. So we're almost certainly going to have to use ##ab+ba=1## (possibly more than once) to rewrite the right-hand side.

8. Oct 6, 2014 #7
    Update:

I now have four (seven?) equations I'm moving around.

1) a = (a^2)*b + a*b*a
    2) a = aba + b(a^2)
    3) 1 = (a^3)b + b(a^3)
    4) 1 = ab + ba

Hence...
    5) ab + ba = (a^3)b + b(a^3)
    6) aba + b(a^2) = (a^2)*b + a*b*a

I even multiplied 5 and 6 together to try to get something. Got messy.

Hmmm.

9. Oct 6, 2014 #8

RUber

Homework Helper

From 1 and 2 you have ##a^2b=ba^2##.
    Multiplying 4 by ##a^2## gives either ## a^2 = a^3b+a^2ba ## or ## a^2 = aba^2+ba^3##.
    Using the facts that ##a^3 = a## and ##a^2b=b^2a## you can reduce this down to something equivalent to ##a^2 = 1##.

10. Oct 6, 2014 #9

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was able to solve it using RUber's suggestion, but I also found a way to solve it without ever multiplying an equation by anything. So one piece of advice is to resist the temptation to multiply things together.

11. Oct 6, 2014 #10
    Wow I got it. Thanks a ton for your help I appreciate it. Totally got it before Fredriks last comment :P. I'm studying this stuff independently cuz i'm a Math nerd and it's tough! It's fun though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted