1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elemetary matrices proof problem PLS help

1. Feb 13, 2008 #1
    If A is an n x n matrix and Ax = 0 has many solutions, then

which ones are true??

A. Ax = b has either no solutions or many solutions
    B. Ax = b has a unique solution for some b
    C. Ax = b has many solutions for any b
    D. Ax = b has no solutions for some b

or are all of the above false??

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2008 #2

Vid

Think about what it means for Ax = 0 to have many solutions. If the 0's in the augmented matrix of linear equations were changed to some constants, would that change how A reduces?

4. Feb 14, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Unfortunately, I don't know what you have to work with. If Ax= 0 has more than one solution, then the kernel of A is non-trivial and has non-zero dimension. That, in turn, means that the image of A is not all of Rn.

Note also that is Ax= b and v is in the kernel of A, A(x+ v)= Ax+ Av= b+ 0= b.

5. Feb 15, 2008 #4
    well this is what i kinda know

Ax=0
    if you solve for x then x=0,
    which will make A invertible
    So, what does that say about Ax=B

6. Feb 15, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If x= 0 is the only solution to Ax= 0, then A is invertible. If A has an inverse, how would you solve Ax= B?

However, that is completely irrelevant to your question since the question specifically says that A has MORE than one solution.

I can only repeat: if v is any vector such that Av= 0, and x is a solution to Ax= b, then A(x+ v)= Ax+ Av= Ax+ 0= Ax= b. If there are many solutions to Ax= 0, what does that tell you about the number of solutions to Ax=b?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?