Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elenin, the new scaremongering is approaching

1. Jul 30, 2011 #1
    The name of the comet Elenin C/2010 X1 does not show up in PF. I don't know if that is caused by active deletions of the mentors or that the scaremongering has not yet reached PF. But just google Elenin to find a lot of end-of-the-world speculations.

Better to take note of some facts before the doomsayers are swarming the place.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2011 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I had read about the comet, but not the scaremongering. Thanks for the pre-emptive post.

4. Jul 30, 2011 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Thanks for the heads-up Andre-I haven't been keeping up with comets much. There is a lot of woo-woo out there.

5. Jul 30, 2011 #4

turbo

Gold Member

I got a little bored and started exploring the Woo sites. One person believes that NASA is lying about the comet and is using it to deflect the "real" information, which is that a brown dwarf with satellites is going to plow through the Solar system, disrupting the Earth's orbit in the process.

6. Jul 30, 2011 #5
    Yep. I heard about this. "Brown Dwarf" coming to shake up and flip us and shoot radioactive debris. It's all PLAUSIBLE, but I think the theory of us being beat up by a rouge star is stupid. me, myself, don't believe it'll harm us. But, hey, let the conspiracy theorist who think that we'll all die believe what they want. They've been disappointed so many times before anyway.

7. Aug 1, 2011 #6

FlexGunship

Gold Member

There are two definitions of the word "plausible."
    1. Seemingly or apparently valid, likely, or acceptable; credible
    2. Giving a deceptive impression of truth or reliability

Perhaps you could argue it's the second definition, but certainly not the first. And, given the fact that there are no brown dwarves in the the vicinity of the solar system, even the second usage of the word is inappropriate.

The word you're looking for is "silly." As in: "It's all SILLY."

EDIT: At a billionth of the tidal forces of the moon, I look forward to hearing earthquake and tsunami claims.

8. Aug 1, 2011 #7
    The last link(url) from "universetoday.com" states, "Why Can’t I Find Information of Elenin at the NASA Website? Because NASA is not the arbiter of all things astronomical. You won’t find information on C/2009 P1, C/2011 C1 or any of the faint comets discovered during 2010 and 2011. NASA does have information of comets that its spacecraft have visited, or are interesting in some other way, but it’s not an exhaustive comet site like Cometography or Aerith."

Well, the universetoday.com was wrong. NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory stated on May 4, 2011:

I hope Andy Resnick gets an image of that comet! Maybe I will too.:smile:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  9. Aug 1, 2011 #8

russ_watters

We did get a couple of posts in one thread and they were deleted.

10. Aug 6, 2011 #9

Dotini

Gold Member

With respect to Comet Elenin, you can use the interactive controls of this JPL applet to see the position of the comet within the solar system along its timeline.
    http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=2010x1&orb=1

Here is the discoverer's website, with latest updates on his comet. The overall diameter of the coma is now about 200,000km, making this comet the second biggest object in the solar system at present, although the nucleus is only 2 or 3 km in diameter.
    http://spaceobs.org/en/tag/comet-elenin/

Latest pics and video from STEREO B and Gustavo Muler observatory.

Respectfully submitted,
    Steve

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  11. Aug 7, 2011 #10
    Thanks Steve for the contribution here on this topic. I appreciate your interest.

NASA’s STEREO (Solar TErrestrial RElations Observatory), which is the third mission in NASA's Solar Terrestrial Probes program (STP), has this to say:

:smile:

12. Aug 21, 2011 #11

Dotini

Gold Member

Current length of the ion tail is 3,000,000 km, quite a bit short of the record of Hale-Bopp at 50,000,000 km. Elenin will pass within 35,000,000 km of Earth on October 16 of this year. Earth has passed through comet tails in the past, and nothing terribly notable has been reported to my knowledge.
    http://spaceobs.org/en/tag/comet-elenin/

Respectfully submitted,
    Steve

13. Aug 21, 2011 #12

Hepth

Gold Member

Not sure if its been covered, but is this one that can be seen with the naked eye when its at its closest?

14. Aug 21, 2011 #13

Dotini

Gold Member

That's actually a good question! This comet is fairly dim right now, but long period comets, which Elenin is, will often flare up and put on a show when entering or leaving the inner solar system. So we have our hopes up.

But undoubtedly someone with good eyes in a good location will see it, even if it doesn't flare up.

Respectfully submitted,
    Steve

15. Aug 22, 2011 #14

FlexGunship

Gold Member

Yes, when it bursts into flames as it contact the upper atmosphere you should be able to see it pretty well from outside of your bomb shelter. When it hits your bomb shelter you should be able to see it pretty well from inside your bomb shelter.

16. Aug 30, 2011 #15

Dotini

Gold Member

SO MUCH FOR DOOMSDAY: Comet Elenin (C/2010 X1), widely known for inaccurate reports of its threat to Earth, appears to be breaking apart. Observations by amateur astronomer Michael Mattiazzo of Castlemaine, Australia show a rapid dimming and elongation of the comet's nucleus akin to that of Comet LINEAR (C/1999 S4), which also disintegrated when it approached the sun in 2000. Comets are fragile objects, so this development while unexpected comes as no surprise.
    http://spaceweather.com/ <-- archive August 30, 2011

Respectfully submitted,
    Steve

17. Aug 30, 2011 #16

Drakkith

Ahah! My comet repellant spray seems to be working!

18. Aug 30, 2011 #17

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

:rofl:

19. Oct 14, 2011 #18
    http://news.yahoo.com/debris-doomsday-comet-elenin-pass-earth-sunday-164605072.html".

What's the liklihood the ice and dust slewed off, but a rocky core remains intact?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  20. Oct 15, 2011 #19

Dotini

Gold Member

We may get lucky and learn more if we can spot and study any elusive remnants as they whiz past. The initial estimates of a kilometer or two for the diameter of Elenin's nucleus may have been rather optimistic. If so, what's left now may be no more impressive than a truckload of gravel. Long period comets are unpredictable cosmic jokers - not good material on which to place bets or predictions.

Respectfully submitted,
    Steve

21. Oct 27, 2011 #20

FlexGunship

Gold Member

Well, Elenin is dead; it's official... the comet came SOOOO close to destroying Earth, that the world's nations secretly joined together to destroy it without spilling a drop of information to the public!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45050612/ns/technology_and_science-space/

[QUOTE='http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45050612/ns/technology_and_science-space/"]The [Broken] [...] comet Elenin, [...] a [...] harbinger of doom, has met its [...] demise,[...] NASA scientists say.

"Comets are [...] several miles in diameter, but [...] it doesn't take much to get a comet to disintegrate, and with comets, once they break up, there is no hope of reconciliation." [...] Elenin wasn't a comet at all, but actually a rogue planet called Nibiru.

[...] NASA's official responses to quell [...] comet Elenin, the space agency said. [...] This is an ex-comet.[/QUOTE]

See? By reading between the lines, you can find the truth!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook