1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eletric Field of a Ring

1. Sep 25, 2016 #1
    • 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    • A Ring with center in (0,0) and R radius.
    • The charge distribution from the ring is: ψ(θ) = ψo*Sin(θ), where θ is the angle from the x axis (counterclowise).
      Negative values of the sine determine negative charge, and 0 no charge at all.
    • What is the field (E) created from this distribution (only x and y components)?
    2. Relevant equations
    • If there we introduce a constant eletric field, F, in the positive direction of the y axis. How can i find the
      equipotentials lines from the sum of the fields?
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to find the dEx and dEx as a function of dθ, so i could integrate from 0 to 2*π and get the field vector as function of x and y.
    I found:
    • dEx = K*ψ(θ)*[x-R*Cos(θ)]*dθ/[ (y-R*Sin(θ))2+(x-R*Cos(θ))2 ]3/2
    • dEy = K*ψ(θ)*[y-R*Sin(θ)]*dθ/[ (y-R*Sin(θ))2+(x-R*Cos(θ))2 ]3/2
    • where K = 1/(4*π*εo) or about 9*10^9 N*m2*C-2
    But when i calculate the integration i get 0 for both. Any ideas?
    I can add a picture later, i can't now.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There is too much missing from the problem statement to complete the assignment.
    ie.
    What is the orientation of the ring? Is it in the x-y plane?
    Where are we supposed to find the ##\vec E## field? only in the x-y plane? (we are only asked for x,y components).

... you mean you tried to find ##dE_x## and ##dE_y## in terms of ##\theta##
    The reasoning usually goes like this: The electric field element ##d\vec E## due to the charge element ##dq## on the ring between ##\theta## and ##\theta +d\theta## is given by ... etc.

Looks like you have done the calculus wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted