1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eletric force problem

1. Apr 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

the magnitude of the electric field strength between two oppositly charged parallel metal plate is 2.0 x 10 3 newtons per coulomb. point p is located midway between the plates.

an electron is located at point p between the plates. caculate the magnitude of the force exerted by the electric field

2. Relevant equations

Felect = k • Q1 • Q2 / d2

k = 9.0 x 109 N•m2
    q1 = 2.0 x 10 3
    q2 = 2.0 x 10 3
    d = missing

3. The attempt at a solution

how do i figure out the distance for this problem?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2010 #2
    If you've already got the electric field, you don't need a distance; you can just use the fact that F=qE. If your field exerts 2000 Newtons of force on every Coulomb of charge in it, and your particle's charge is -1.6 * 10^-19 Coulombs or whatever (this may not be accurate; I don't exactly know the elementary charge off the top of my head) then you can just plug those in... This help any?
  4. Apr 6, 2010 #3
    Coloumbs law can be also be written as [tex]F = qE[/tex].

You are given for the value of the electric field strength and charge of the electron is known to be -1.602e-19 C. Now you can calculate for the electric force exerted on the charge by the field.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook