Solve Eletrostatic Problem: Sphere Charge Q0

• Thread starter Anonymous119
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a charged sphere in a vacuum surrounded by air with a small conductivity. The task is to find the charge of the sphere as a function of time. The conversation discusses using Ohm's law and the definition of current to solve the problem, but also mentions that Maxwell's equations could potentially be used. Ultimately, the solution is found to be Q(t) = Q0 * e^(-ts/e0).
Anonymous119
[Note from mentor -- this post was moved here from another forum]

Hi,

I ran to this problem today and i try to solve it but i can't complete it so if anyone can help me :)

Sphere has a charge Q0. Inside the sphere is vacuum and outside the air. Consume that air has small non zero conductivity s (the inverse of resistivity=1/ρ=s). Find how its charge
will evolve with time Q = Q(T).

Here is my work:

[itex]Q(T) = Q_0-dQ(T)[/itex]

[itex]dQ=\int_0^T I(t)\, dt[/itex]
where is I=U/R
R=1/s *l/S where l= dr(distance betwen our sphere(r) and sphere (r+dr)) where dr is very small and S=4pi*r^2
U=kQ(t)*(1/r-1/(r+dr))

When i arranged this i got:

I(t)=Q(t)*s/e0 so

[itex] dQ=\frac{s}{e_0} \cdot \int_0^TQ(t)dt [/itex]

[itex]Q(T)=Q_0-\frac{s}{e_0}\cdot\int_0^TQ(t)dt [/itex]
Where e0 is eletric constant.

And now i don't know how to solve this equation.
So please if anyone know how or see any mistake in my work post here.

Thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anonymous119 said:
Hi,

I ran to this problem today and i try to solve it but i can't complete it so if anyone can help me :)

Sphere has a charge Q0. Inside the sphere is vacuum and outside the air. Consume that air has small non zero conductivity s (the inverse of resistivity=1/ρ=s). Find how its charge
will evolve with time Q = Q(T).

Here is my work:

[itex]Q(T) = Q_0-dQ(T)[/itex]

[itex]dQ=\int_0^T I(t)\, dt[/itex]

dQ means infinitesimal change of the charge, dQ=(dQ/dt) dt= Idt. Do not use d for finite changes. The change of charge can be written as ΔQ.
And you do not need ΔQ. You need the charge as function of time, Q(t).
Anonymous119 said:
where is I=U/R
R=1/s *l/S where l= dr(distance betwen our sphere(r) and sphere (r+dr)) where dr is very small and S=4pi*r^2
U=kQ(t)*(1/r-1/(r+dr))

When i arranged this i got:

I(t)=Q(t)*s/e0

Correct so far.

Anonymous119 said:
so

[STRIKE][itex] dQ=\frac{s}{e_0} \cdot \int_0^TQ(t)dt [/STRIKE][/itex]

The current is equal to the charge leaving the sphere in unit time. I=-dQ/dt.

So ##dQ/dt= - \frac{s}{ε_0}Q(t)##

That is a separable differential equation for Q(t). You can write it
$$\int{\frac {dQ}{Q}}=- \frac{s}{ε_0}\int{dt} $$
Perform the integration and fit to the initial condition Q=Q0 at t=0. If you want definite integral from t=0 to t=T you an write $$\int_{Q_0}^{Q(T)}{\frac {dQ}{Q}}=- \frac{s}{ε_0}\int_0^T{dt} $$

ehild

Likes 1 person
Hm to solve this problem we just use ohm's law and the definition of current? Shouldnt somewhere use maxwell's equations? Wouldnt the charges flowing from the sphere to the outer imaginary spheres alter the electric field because the overall charge density changes in the volume of air around the sphere and not only in the surface of the sphere... But let me guess, we just neglect the charge density of the surrounding volume of air (as well as considering quasi static approach neglecting the terms dB/dt and dE/dt) in order to simplify the problem.

Delta² said:
Hm to solve this problem we just use ohm's law and the definition of current? Shouldnt somewhere use maxwell's equations? Wouldnt the charges flowing from the sphere to the outer imaginary spheres alter the electric field because the overall charge density changes in the volume of air around the sphere and not only in the surface of the sphere... But let me guess, we just neglect the charge density of the surrounding volume of air (as well as considering quasi static approach neglecting the terms dB/dt and dE/dt) in order to simplify the problem.

It would be better to use the relation between current density and electric field ##\vec j = σ \vec E## (The OP uses the notation s for σ, the conductivity. )

Integrating around the surface of the sphere, we get the current ##I =\int{\vec j d \vec A} = σ\int {\vec E d\vec A }= σ Q/ε_0##. The current is the charge flowing through a surface in unit time - the surface is a sphere concentric with the original one: I=-dQ/dt.

ehild

ehild said:
dQ means infinitesimal change of the charge, dQ=(dQ/dt) dt= Idt. Do not use d for finite changes. The change of charge can be written as ΔQ.
And you do not need ΔQ. You need the charge as function of time, Q(t).

Correct so far. The current is equal to the charge leaving the sphere in unit time. I=-dQ/dt.

So ##dQ/dt= - \frac{s}{ε_0}Q(t)##

That is a separable differential equation for Q(t). You can write it
$$\int{\frac {dQ}{Q}}=- \frac{s}{ε_0}\int{dt} $$
Perform the integration and fit to the initial condition Q=Q0 at t=0. If you want definite integral from t=0 to t=T you an write $$\int_{Q_0}^{Q(T)}{\frac {dQ}{Q}}=- \frac{s}{ε_0}\int_0^T{dt} $$

ehild
I think you are absolutely right .
I got confused about the marks how dumb.

THANKS !

I got this for the final solution:

$$Q(t)=Q_0\cdot e^{-t\frac{s}{e_0}}$$
Delta² said:

I don't think so because it's problem for high school students and they usually don't study Maxwell's equations. I've just finished the first grade of high school so i don't know enough math to unerstand Maxwell's equations completely.

Last edited:
Anonymous119 said:
I got this for the final solution:

$$Q(t)=Q_0\cdot e^{-t\frac{s}{e_0}}$$

Excellent!

ehild

ehild said:
It would be better to use the relation between current density and electric field ##\vec j = σ \vec E## (The OP uses the notation s for σ, the conductivity. )

Integrating around the surface of the sphere, we get the current ##I =\int{\vec j d \vec A} = σ\int {\vec E d\vec A }= σ Q/ε_0##. The current is the charge flowing through a surface in unit time - the surface is a sphere concentric with the original one: I=-dQ/dt.

ehild
Ok i see so we can say that we use Gauss's Law as well.

But, suppose we want to calculate the charge density in the surrounding volume after time t, how we would proceed?

1. What is an electrostatic problem?

An electrostatic problem is a situation where there are charged particles or objects present, and the goal is to find the electric field or potential at a certain point in space.

2. What is a sphere charge?

A sphere charge refers to a spherical object that has a net charge, meaning there is an imbalance of positive and negative charges on its surface. This charge can either be positive or negative.

3. How do you solve an electrostatic problem involving a sphere charge?

To solve an electrostatic problem with a sphere charge, you need to use the Gauss's Law and the Coulomb's Law equations. First, you need to determine the net charge on the sphere and the radius. Then, you can use these values to calculate the electric field or potential at a certain distance from the sphere.

4. What is the Gauss's Law?

The Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electrostatics that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the net charge enclosed by that surface. It is written as ΦE = Q/ε0, where ΦE is the electric flux, Q is the net charge, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

5. Can you calculate the electric field or potential at any point in space using the sphere charge Q0?

Yes, you can calculate the electric field or potential at any point in space using the sphere charge Q0 as long as you know the distance from the sphere and the values of the net charge and radius. However, the calculation may become more complex if the sphere charge is not symmetrically distributed.