Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Elevator acceleration help

1. Feb 15, 2010 #1
    A 70kg person is in an elevator the elevator has an acceleration of 3m/s/s DOWNWARD. What force will the floor exert on the person.

I am confused on the the equation. So far I think (mass)(acceleration)=(mass)(gravity)-(normal force). I know the mass is 70kg or 700N. I also know the acceleration is 3m/s/s. so i started to fill in my equation an i got -210=700-(Normal Force). But after solving I don't see that method resulting in the correct answer. HELP

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2010 #2
    Re: Elevator

You put a minus sign in front of the acceleration, so your positive direction is up and the
    negative direction is down. Gravity is also downwards, so it should get a minus sign as well.
    The normal force is upwards, so it should not get a minus sign.

4. Feb 15, 2010 #3

i am still confused, So i worked it out the way you told me, but since i am looking for the amount of force the floor is exerting on the person should i find the normal force. or should it just be Mass x Gravity

Here is my work
    (Mass)(Acceleration)=Normal Force-(Mass)(Gravity)
    -210=Normal Force -700
    Normal Force= 490

5. Feb 15, 2010 #4

The amount of force the floor is exerting IS the normal force, so your answer is
    correct.

6. Feb 15, 2010 #5

thanks for the help. really appreciate it

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook