1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Elevator acceleration help

1. Feb 15, 2010 #1
    A 70kg person is in an elevator the elevator has an acceleration of 3m/s/s DOWNWARD. What force will the floor exert on the person.

I am confused on the the equation. So far I think (mass)(acceleration)=(mass)(gravity)-(normal force). I know the mass is 70kg or 700N. I also know the acceleration is 3m/s/s. so i started to fill in my equation an i got -210=700-(Normal Force). But after solving I don't see that method resulting in the correct answer. HELP

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2010 #2
    Re: Elevator

You put a minus sign in front of the acceleration, so your positive direction is up and the
    negative direction is down. Gravity is also downwards, so it should get a minus sign as well.
    The normal force is upwards, so it should not get a minus sign.

4. Feb 15, 2010 #3

i am still confused, So i worked it out the way you told me, but since i am looking for the amount of force the floor is exerting on the person should i find the normal force. or should it just be Mass x Gravity

Here is my work
    (Mass)(Acceleration)=Normal Force-(Mass)(Gravity)
    -210=Normal Force -700
    Normal Force= 490

5. Feb 15, 2010 #4

The amount of force the floor is exerting IS the normal force, so your answer is
    correct.

6. Feb 15, 2010 #5

thanks for the help. really appreciate it

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook