1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elevator acceleration with mass

1. Sep 26, 2005 #1
    Woman stand on a scale in a moving elevator. Her mas is 60 kg, and combined mass of elevator and scale is additional 815 kg. From rest, elevator accelerates upwards. During Acceleration, the cable applies a force of 9410N. What does the scale read during acceleration. Formula or solution would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Show how you started, please.

4. Sep 26, 2005 #3
    Well I know F=mass*acceleration. So 9410= 875*A. A=10.754. I dont really know what the weight of the scale would read though at that time.

5. Sep 26, 2005 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to avoid the urge to plug numbers into equations without thinking about what it is that you are doing. Newton's second law says that the net force on an object is equal to the product of its mass and acceleration. The force exerted by the cable is not the net force on the elevator. You were given 3 weights, and you need to include them in your analysis.

You should start every single one of these problems by drawing a free body diagram, and then by applying Newton's 2nd law.

Hint: If you're standing on a scale, it doesn't read your weight, but rather the normal force applied to you.

6. Sep 26, 2005 #5
    I dont really understand what the normal force would be. IS it 9410. If so then the weight would equal 9410 with no acceleration. I can't really figure out what to do to find this though, becasue their is acceleration and a lady on it.

7. Sep 26, 2005 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to analyze the problem in two parts. First, analyze the elevator and then analyze the lady on the scale.

In the first part you will get the acceleration of the elevator. You'll use that in the second part because the acceleration of the lady is the same as the acceleration of the elevator (they move together).

And again, for each part, draw a free body diagram and apply Newton's 2nd law.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?