Elevator acceration problem

• Thread starter redshift
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elevator
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the acceleration of an elevator that is moving with constant acceleration, with a person of 50 kg mass standing on a bathroom scale that shows a reading of "55 kg". By using Newton's second law and calculating the normal force (Fn), the acceleration of the elevator is found to be 0.98 m/s^2.
redshift
"In an elevator that is moving with constant acceleration, a person of 50 kg mass is standing on a bathroom scale that shows "55 kg". Determine the accerlation of the elevator."
I'm pretty sure my answer is right. I'm just wondering if there's another way.

So, 55 kg is 1.1 times 50 kg.
Therefore, the normal force (Fn) acting on the person is 1.1mg

By Newton's second law,
F = ma
Fn - mg = ma
a = (Fn -mg)/m
a = (1.1mg - mg)/m (plugging in the above substitution)
a = g(1.1-1)
a = 0.98 m/s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
There are possibly many ways (I don't know any, though) to solve this problem correctly, but your way seems to me as the simplest, and hence, most elegant.

Your calculation is correct. Another way to approach this problem is by using the equation for weight, which is W=mg. Since the scale is showing 55 kg, it means that the person's weight is 55 kg. We can then set this equal to the normal force (Fn) and solve for acceleration:

W=Fn
55 kg = Fn

Since Fn = ma, we can substitute this into the equation:

55 kg = ma

We also know that the person's mass is 50 kg, so we can substitute this in as well:

55 kg = 50 kg * a

Solving for a, we get:

a = 55 kg / 50 kg = 1.1 m/s^2

Both methods will give you the same answer, but the second approach uses the specific equation for weight and may be more straightforward for some individuals.

1. What is an elevator acceleration problem?

The elevator acceleration problem refers to the situation where an elevator experiences a sudden change in speed, causing discomfort or even fear for passengers.

2. What causes an elevator acceleration problem?

There are several factors that can contribute to an elevator acceleration problem, such as mechanical malfunctions, power outages, or human error.

3. How does an elevator acceleration problem affect passengers?

An elevator acceleration problem can cause discomfort, dizziness, or even panic in passengers. It can also lead to injuries if the acceleration is too sudden or severe.

4. What can be done to prevent elevator acceleration problems?

Regular maintenance and inspections of elevators can help identify and address potential issues before they become a problem. Additionally, installing safety features such as emergency brakes can help mitigate the impact of an acceleration problem.

5. What should I do if I experience an elevator acceleration problem?

If you experience an elevator acceleration problem, remain calm and follow any instructions provided by the elevator operator or emergency personnel. If possible, press the emergency button or use the emergency phone to call for help.