Elevator falling on springs

In summary, the problem is asking for the number of springs needed to prevent an elevator, with a mass of 4000 kg and falling a distance of 15 m, from compressing the springs by more than 0.2 m in case of brake failure. The sum of frictional forces of the brakes is given to be 5000N, and the spring constant of each spring is 5.0x10^6 N/m with a maximum compression of 0.3 m. The total energy of the elevator is calculated to be 513,000 J, and the elastic potential energy of each spring is 100,000 J. To find the number of springs needed, the total energy of the elevator can be divided
Tremblay23

Homework Statement

My question states that an elevator is falling on springs that are supposed to absorb the residual energy if the brakes fail to stop the elevator. They are asking how many springs are needed so that the elevator does not compress the springs by more than 0.2m?
mass of elevator is 4000 kg
the distance the elevator falls is 15 m
the sum of frictional forces of the breaks is 5000N
and the spring constant of each spring is 5.0x10^6 N/m with a maximum compression of 0.3 m

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I found the work done by the frictional forces by multiplying the frictional forces by the distance, and subtracted that by the potential energy of the elevator so obtain the total energy of the elevator.
This gave me:
Wf=(Ff)(d)=(-5000N)(15m)= -75,000 J
Ep =mgh=(4000kg)(9.8N/m)(15m)= 588,000 J
Etotal= 513,000 J

I then found the elastic potential energy of each spring by using the compression of 0.2 m
Ep=(0.5)(5.0x10^6N/m)(0.2m^2)= 100,000 J

To find how many springs I need, would I just have to divide the total energy of the elevator by the potential energy of the springs? I'm not sure what the next step should be

Physics news on Phys.org
Tremblay23 said:

Homework Statement

My question states that an elevator is falling on springs that are supposed to absorb the residual energy if the brakes fail to stop the elevator. They are asking how many springs are needed so that the elevator does not compress the springs by more than 0.2m?
the distance the elevator falls is 15 m
and the spring constant of each spring is 5.0x10^6 N/m with a maximum compression of 0.3 m

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I found the work done by the frictional forces by multiplying the frictional forces by the distance, and subtracted that by the potential energy of the elevator so obtain the total energy of the elevator.
This gave me:
Wf=(Ff)(d)=(-5000N)(15m)= -75,000 J
Ep =mgh=(4000kg)(9.8N/m)(15m)= 588,000 J
Etotal= 513,000 J

I then found the elastic potential energy of each spring by using the compression of 0.2 m
Ep=(0.5)(5.0x10^6N/m)(0.2m^2)= 100,000 J

To find how many springs I need, would I just have to divide the total energy of the elevator by the potential energy of the springs? I'm not sure what the next step should be
When calculating the change in gravitational potential energy of the elevator,wouldn't it be more appropriate to consider 'h' as 15.2 rather than 15?

Tremblay23 said:
To find how many springs I need, would I just have to divide the total energy of the elevator by the potential energy of the springs?
That is possible, right.

Such a small braking distance won't help passengers, by the way, it still corresponds to a deceleration in excess of 50 g.

Ellispson said:
When calculating the change in gravitational potential energy of the elevator,wouldn't it be more appropriate to consider 'h' as 15.2 rather than 15?

Possibl
mfb said:
That is possible, right.

Such a small braking distance won't help passengers, by the way, it still corresponds to a deceleration in excess of 50 g.

Thanks!

Tremblay23 said:
And it asks if the brakes fail to stop it?!
Maybe it means that failing brakes can still be assumed to achieve 5000N?

The brakes fail to stop it completely, but they still work and exert a force (apparently not with their normal force, because normally they have to hold the elevator, assuming the counterweight is counted as "brake"). That's how I interpreted the problem.
Otherwise it would not make sense to discuss brakes.

1. How does a elevator falling on springs work?

When an elevator falls on springs, the springs absorb the impact and compress, reducing the force of the fall. This helps to slow down the elevator and prevent it from crashing to the ground.

2. What happens if the springs in an elevator break?

If the springs in an elevator break, the elevator will fall at a faster rate and may crash to the ground. This is why it is important for elevators to have regular maintenance and inspections to ensure the safety of the springs.

3. How much weight can elevator springs support?

The weight that elevator springs can support varies depending on the type of spring and the design of the elevator. However, most elevator springs are designed to support the weight of the elevator and its maximum capacity of passengers.

4. What are some safety features in elevators to prevent a fall on springs?

Elevators have several safety features in place to prevent falls on springs, such as multiple cables and brakes that engage in the event of an emergency. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspections can help to identify any potential issues with the springs before they become a safety hazard.

5. Can elevator springs wear out over time?

Yes, elevator springs can wear out over time due to constant use and exposure to weight and pressure. This is why it is important for elevators to have regular maintenance and for the springs to be replaced when necessary to ensure the safety of the elevator.