Elevator Frame Design: Can It Stand Alone?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is possible to build an elevator without using a rail bracket and supporting the weight with only four steel columns. The response states that this is not possible due to safety codes and the lack of understanding of engineering. The thread is then closed.
EnricoHendro
TL;DR Summary
I am wondering if it is possible to build an elevator frame without using rail brackets
Hello there,
I am wondering, if I were to build an elevator in a building, is it possible if I build the elevator frame (and rails) without using the rail bracket? The weight of the cart plus the contents would be supported by only 4 steel columns fixed to the ground. I know it is a silly question, but I am just curious.

Engineering news on Phys.org
No, because your question shows that you do not understand the engineering involved. Nor do you understand elevator safety codes, or the reason for those codes. Please read the rules - PF is not a consulting engineering organization.

Thread closed.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the purpose of an elevator frame design?

An elevator frame design is used to support and stabilize the elevator car and its movement within the elevator shaft. It also helps to distribute the weight of the elevator and its passengers evenly.

2. How is an elevator frame designed?

Elevator frames are designed using mathematical calculations and computer-aided design (CAD) software. Engineers consider factors such as weight capacity, building height, and safety regulations when creating a frame design.

3. Can an elevator frame stand alone without support from the building structure?

No, an elevator frame cannot stand alone without support from the building structure. The frame is attached to the building's structural components, such as beams and columns, to provide stability and support.

4. What materials are commonly used in elevator frame designs?

The most common materials used in elevator frame designs are steel, aluminum, and reinforced concrete. These materials are strong and durable enough to support the weight of the elevator and its passengers.

5. Are there any safety considerations when designing an elevator frame?

Yes, safety is a critical factor in elevator frame design. Engineers must consider factors such as weight capacity, load distribution, and emergency procedures to ensure the safety of passengers and prevent accidents.